Skip to main content

What's in a Bag?

I have started zipping over Chennai city in the metro train again. It felt so comfortable and amiable like a forgotten acquaintance, that I immediately got into the groove of things. It was especially useful during the brief spell of rains we faced last week. I almost pray that it remains this way for years to come, which could happen considering the manageable crowd that commutes by it everyday.

The other day, as I clattered down the long flight of steps that led to the Shenoy Nagar station, I saw a man ahead of me who had just an umbrella in his hand and looked like he was out for a stroll. Why did that observation interest me, you ask? Well for one, no one really goes out for a stroll at 3 in the afternoon, I think. Secondly, I was going out in the afternoon too and I had a huge tote bag and a water bottle nestled in my hands. The lack of any such baggage on his person stumped me a bit. Why would he pay anywhere between 35 to 45 rupees for a stroll? That was expensive. The lovely road around the Metro would have been a good place to start walking if he was so inclined. It got me thinking if perhaps he was going for a lunch with someone? Perhaps to book a ticket or two at Central Station? Pay his phone bills? I had to control the urge to run up to him and play the nosy Indian lady.

My poor bag - like a beast of burden
For any of the above, I would normally have a bag or a heavy wallet in hand with probably my keys (both home and car/bike ones) in a bag, even if I were to be wearing pants like he was.  Most days when I am off to work my bag is bursting at the seams. You will find a wallet or purse, a small notepad, mobile phone, spectacles, a small towel, wet wipes, lipstick, lip balm, a brush or a comb or both, a book because nothing can replace that, compact case, a couple of pens, a water bottle and on that day...an umbrella. My poor bag. And the planning I do to remove things from each compartment with minimal fuss and distortion of existing placements would put any management expert to shame. First I had to slide the bike keys and the parking ticket neatly into the back pocket, without opening the whole bag. The metro card is also in this pocket as I don't want to open the main zip before boarding the train. Good intentions that, but somehow I do end up opening the main compartment for some weird reason or the other. Anyway, in go the parking ticket and the bike keys and out comes the metro card... in one smooth movement, while keeping eyes open to the slippery floor and navigating the security and bag check. Shoulder the bag, walk down to the platform in time for the train and  plonk down into one of the empty seats of the ladies compartment.  Now I open the big zip to pull out very carefully because it is all such a tight fit, my book. That done, without the contents of the bag spilling out, I close the zip and settle down for twenty minutes of uninterrupted reading.

After that it is opening the main compartment to slide and shift things around till the book settles in its slot and I am ready to get off. The metro card is in hand now ready to be swiped and then I clatter down the steps to find an auto that would take me to my destination. Just narrating the sequence is wearing me, but the whole process is perfected as of now. I have never once used my lipstick or compact or even my spectacles as I seem to be able to read without them in the well lit train. But do I keep it back home? No. I have got so used to carrying this burden around me.

However, seeing this bald man in his tucked T-shirt and loose pants sauntering down with just an umbrella in hand, I feel like an overdressed girl at a beach party. I have decided to downsize the bag somewhat reduce this baggage I was carrying around. It reflected somehow of my life choices, you know, of stocking up and collecting clutter around me...for wasn't it what I was doing with this small space that I was taking with me everywhere?

So now I know what to do. I shall take my first step to de-clutter with leaving my umbrella behind.


Comments

Sriram P B said…
😀 That's a lot of thought for the poor bag.
Anonymous said…
😀 it's an ode Sri.

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those