Skip to main content

Fromage - For pastas and a killer Mojito

There have been quite a few restaurants I had visited these few months that have so thoroughly satisfied my food cravings. "Quite a few" is pretty big for me as against the ordinary number which stands pretty much at one or zero a month.

First on my list of visit-again restaurants is Fromage. Not just for their great mango mojito and beef lasagna, but also to re-order a few other items which were a blur on my taste buds leaving just a tantalizing promise of flavours I could have enjoyed if not for the boisterous company.


A visit to Fromage materialized when the darling husband read about it on a friend's FB post and shared it with me. I don't need much incentive to check out a restaurant...especially one serving Continental food. So up I jumped and planned a Sunday lunch with two other friends before S could get cold feet. Off we went from Kilpauk, all the way to MRC Nagar, a good 15 kms away to try a restaurant that had 'cheese' in its name.

I had been salivating over their dishes reviewed heavily on Zomato. Their cheese wheel pasta, the bacon wrapped chicken and the fiery spicy chicken wings came heavily recommended. When we got there we almost sat down in Broken Bridge restaurant that shared its premises with Fromage. This place was where Burgundy was situated earlier and is part of Somerset Greenways. After entering the right restaurant in which we were the only ones, we promptly started taking snaps of each other against the very arty, French decor. Pics done, lipsticks in tact we tackled the menu and I straight away went for the Mango mojito, chilli cheese fries with ratatouille and bruschetta, while Cee ordered the bacon wrapped chicken and Chicken parmigiano tender; the former I heard was absolutely tasty and the latter was a bit oily though it was crunchy and spicy.
Bacon wrapped chicken 
I loved the fries and the bruschetta. We also got bread cubes with a nice dip on the house, which we dug into with great gusto. I loved the big, generous glass of Mango Mojito and sipped it through my meal with a certain happiness that comes when you have a nicely made, tangy refresher in summer. Ana Kutti took several gulps of it on the sly but between the two of us we managed to save it to the last part of the meal.
Chilli Cheese French Fries with Ratatouille

Mango Mojito
I so wanted to order their beef lasagna, but S was supposed to share with me and he did not eat beef. So I settled for cheese stuffed picante chicken and he for a cream and broccoli soup which again came heavily recommended. This soup was poured into a cut out chunk of bread with lots of gooey cheese inside and though the idea was good, we found to our dismay that in the end we were left with very thick bread with hardly any soup at all. That is a lot of starch to contend with. I wouldn't order this again. The stuffed picante chicken was very different than any such dish I have tasted. It was spicy and light, served with chunky potato fries on the side. But at Rs. 599/- it was a bit steep. A good expensive dish, if you are so inclined.

On the house - bread cubes with dip

Cream and brocolli soup in a bread bowl
Cee, her son Ju and our friend Andy had spaghetti bolognese, beef lasagna and bacon white sauce pasta. I am a pasta person but as I was sharing with S, I had ordered the picante chicken. I took a bite of the spaghetti and the lasagna and I was in heaven. I admire a restaurant that can cook a good lasagna which wasn't drowned in sauce and cheese. This one here hit the mark of a good lasagna. Full marks for that.

Beef Lasagna - Yumm

Chicken Parmigiano Tenders

Spaghetti Bolognese

The beer which was served by Radio Room was not well received by the guys who preferred our regular brands as against the ones served. Also the much touted death by chocolate which was supposed to have had a zillion layers turned out to be a tad dry for me. I have eaten better ones elsewhere. By the end of the meal we sat back with contented faces and full stomach. From when I had eaten to now, I can see that the menu has changed again at Fromage. All the more reason to get the gang and descend there to try out their new items.

Death by Chocolate


If you are looking for a good place serving proper French, european cuisine then look no further. This place is for pasta freaks and it sure does serve a mean Mojito. Oh well, I had mentioned that earlier didn't I?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those