Skip to main content

The Perfect Mouthful

I'm presently sitting contently in front of my laptop, trying to meet some work deadlines. But all I can think of is the delicious lunch I have had an hour ago. If there is indeed a temporary heaven for gastronomically satisfied bellies and stuffed hearts then mine would already have found a place there; instead of trying to sit and make sense of words in a document and put that into some sense.

The meal was a simple, home-cooked fare - rice, nachikota keerai sambar, potato fry, tomato rasam and curds. I shall leave humility aside and accept that it was a good day in the kitchen and all items were very tasty. Every element was a lip smacking addition to our meal, which by itself should have elevated the lunch to nirvana status. But for me it was the combination of the various elements on my plate that contributed to a perfect mouthful. The pairing of the right dishes that look ubiquitous on the plate but transcend all expectations when they touch the tongue and give that sock in the palate...hmmm, that my friends should be why we should be studying chemistry.

S is a purist. He believes in relishing the meal one item at a time. To a plate of steaming hot rice, he first pours a dollop of ghee (pure cow's ghee) and waits for it to melt into the folds of the soft, white rice. Then he would add the porriyal, the vegetable side dish of the day. This dry mixture would be savoured first, followed by the kozhambu or gravy of the day. Once the gravy has been tasted with a papad or two, the rasam followed and here he would pair it with the reminder of his vegetables and finally, he would end the meal with the quintessential curds and/or pickle. There was no confusion, no deviation...just straight forward plan to eating. He loves his food and takes great interest in the making of it too, but it wouldn't be shown in the process of eating.While eating, he followed the plan/ order.

If you were to glance across the table at my plate, you would see a completely different story. To a plate of steaming hot rice, I would pour a ladle of the gravy and add a portion of the veggies. One mouthful later, my plan for the meal changes. If the first mouthful was good, then I would continue to eat the same stuff over the next three courses; loathe to spoil the merrymaking in my mouth with rasam or even curds. But supposing the mouthful was not perfect, I start a mini experimentation. In goes the most reliable element to elevate the meal - pappad.



This crisp, savoury would generally be enough to balance my penchant for a sour, tangy, savoury mouthful of food. If things hadn't or wouldn't succeed after this simple addition, I would move to the next element - rasam. I would dribble a small portion and test a mouthful. This bastard combination to a purist's eating plan would continue or suffice as my second course. I give up pretending to be enjoying the meal right about at this juncture and quickly move to curds and pickle; which till date has never disappointed. At least I end most meals with a smile when there is this white and bright red combo sitting on my plate.

This particular afternoon as you would have guessed, there was a successful pairing - a marriage of sour and savoury. The moment the flavourful keerai sambar and crispy potato fry joined hands and waltzed into my mouth, I became putty to their sheer chemistry. After every crunchy and tangy mouthful I sent up a word of thanks to the Almighty for introducing me to this cuisine. I can relate to Anthony Bourdain's quip when he had visited Punjab, India for an episode of Parts Unknown series.

"If this was what vegetarianism meant in most of the places that practice it in the West, "I'd be at least half as much less of a dick about the subject."

With great difficulty I let go of the sambar and potato fry combination and moved on to the tangy, tomato rasam I had made that day. I had to coax the potato fry to cheat on the sambar, but nobody seemed to complain and the result was that I over ate this afternoon. 


What was special about this combination is that I have discovered and enjoyed this only after meeting S. The potato fry is his specialty and I won't be exaggerating if I were to confess that I could never recreate it. No matter how much I emulate him, mine just doesn't match his end product. I am not complaining one bit right now as long as it is part of our cyclic lunch menu. 


There are certain combinations I have realized, that one can absolutely bank on. Sambar
 with almost everything, Egg with almost everything, Fish fry and rasam, and as a friend pointed out rasam and chicken fry/curry,  Keerai dal with potato/yam/plantain/brinjal fry. Mutton chukka and curds, Mor kozhambu and fish curry/ chicken curry...the list can go on, and so will my blog posts. 


Comments

prasanna said…
Thank God I finished my fast at sunset to read this blog :p. You can expect a hoard of guests for your vegetarian menu.:)
Sriram P B said…
Lol! Yup a south Indian meal has to be eaten in a certain sequence. It's scientific, it's sacred and the rules shouldn't be broken. 😊
Jerina J said…
:-D Hey even S fasted today. It has been a long while since you have made me feel the same. When are you writing going to write about your tryst with food and have us all salivate?
Anita said…
Ok I read this after a heavy dinner and I am still salivating! Can almost taste the potatoes...

Btw I dispute the 'correct' order. That is the Telugu-style order. Any self-respecting Tam would start off with rice and ghee and Sambar alongside a serving of the day's veggies and papad.

And finally the last para about combos simply blew my mind! Some unheard of ones! And please add chicken and rasam to the list
Jerina J said…
Trust you to state what should have been staring at my face. Of course it is the Telugu way :D That's a relief. Malayalees make a kadambam of everything, so I am true to follow.

Oooh yeah chicken and rasam, whattay!
Priyanthi said…
Thank God I read this just after lunch!! You do have a way with words and food :). Also rice and curd with fat huge moist keema cutlets........

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those