Skip to main content

Zipping above Chennai in the Metro

So the direction challenged, hard-to-tell-right-from-left me has used the Chennai Metro rail and lived to tell the story. Travelling by Metro was not so new to me as we did commute in all its glory when we had visited Europe in 2012. But what was different between then and now is that this is our very own spanky, new, bright-eyed skeletal frame work Chennai Metro, as against the mind-boggling colossal labyrinth seen in Europe, and this time S wasn't with me to help make sense of the direction and destination of each train.

It all started when I decided to take the Metro to commute for a training assignment to DLF, Porur. The training program which will last 45 hours of 2 hours each class demanded a more reliable and cost efficient transport especially since my client was paying me all inclusive. Earlier I used to be extravagant and take the cab to and fro thereby dipping into the margin of my profits. But what can I say, I have gotten mature, and so more responsible (ahem). More money saved, is more money to spend on things dear to me.

The gleaming, spotless underground station at Shenoy Nagar
The Metro line that I was interested in ran from Nehru park to Alandur and then with a change of line to the Airport. There are two lines currently running. Apart from what I mentioned, there is a one running from Washermanpet, through Chennai Central, Thousand lights, Teynampet, Saidapet, Guindy and after a few stops to the Airport. I haven't used the latter at all, so I don't think I shall attempt writing more about it.


Route Map - CMRL
To ease the direction challenged me into safe journeying in the coming days, S decided we take the Metro on a Sunday with Ana kutti and my mother. We got to the Shenoy Nagar one, which is an underground station. I was taken up with the charming, white picket fence surrounding the aesthetic glass and chrome structure. We walked up the small flight of stairs and walked down a very long flight of stairs and across a highly polished, slippery granite floor to the ticket counter.  Everything was gleaming and new - something that might not remain the same for long in our dear city, where there is a serious lack of civic sense among people.

Ticket to Ekkaduthangal, which we thought was the nearest stop for me to go to DLF, was Rs. 45/- one way. So for a return ticket I paid Rs. 90 plus a Rs. 10 as deposit for the card - a 100 rupee ride for a half way commute to work. And here I thought taking the train was supposed to be cheaper! So we paid up Rs. 300 to go to Ekkaduthangal and back. After a body check and bag check (no eatables, sorry!) we were ushered down another flight of stairs to Platform 1 and 2. The train to Alandur was going to come to Platform 1. There were many happy families taking selfies and getting into the mood altogether. In about a few minutes, our metro came charging in and we alighted at the designated doors. The clean, chrome and steel interior was filled with other commuters, who were out for a Sunday evening ride, it looked like. With clear instructions in Tamil and English that boomed around the train through the speakers, the doors closed and we were on our way. The train goes underground till Thirumangalam which was the third stop from Shenoy Nagar. After that we took to the air and it was a nice experience to see the city flash by below us and also to see the facades of some of the buildings we came across on the road. After twenty minutes, we reached Ekkaduthangal, bang outside Hilton hotel. Twenty minutes! Unthinkable on road.

I was sold out from the first ride itself. I found myself looking forward to taking the train the next day on my own. Our way back was uneventful, but comfortable. We swiped our cards at the end of our journey in Shenoy Nagar again and were out of the station to our car parked outside. We could top up the same cards from then on or even get ourselves a monthly pass if need be. Since I was not going regularly for training, it didn't make sense to take a pass. The card was valid for as long as the money holds, which means I could top up with Rs. 500/- and enjoy five days of commuting in the Metro in a month. However, the ticket cost is debited only when you enter a particular station. Once in one can take as many connecting trains to reach the destination.

The very next day very confidently I walked down the stairs and up to the ticket counter. After the bag check and body check I strode down to the platform below. As done the previous day, I stood at a designated place and within seconds boarded the train that was going to Nehru Park!! I sat inside the train, the very picture of a smart corporate employee, but my mind was whirling in confusion. I couldn't comprehend this new information to an otherwise plain and easy commute. I got off at Nehru Park secure in the knowledge that I was indeed going away from my destination. (Whew!) So I got off with a sense of purpose in the Nehru Park station, confirmed with the helpful guard there that the next train indeed was going to Ekkaduthangal and then waited for the train.

The view inside the train. I like the beautiful bright lettering on the outside walls. 
That's just one of the many bumbling things I have done over the past few trips in the Metro. One thing however has been consistent - I have not regretted my decision to travel by the Metro in spite of the saving probably just 100 Rs in the bargain. This ride above the city has been a boon of sorts, giving me a quick transport over the city while below chaos reigns in the form of peak traffic jams and as is the case these past few rainy days, water logging and subsequent peak hour pricing by the



cabs. in the rain drenched, traffic clogged Chennai right now.


Comments

Sriram P B said…
I too was most pleasantly surprised on the cleanliness and the swankiness, if I might say so. It certainly beats the comuting trains of Europe which are ageing. Our Metro rail certainly makes me proud. I'm glad I checked it out finally after my childhood friend from the USA chided me for not using it.I pray it stays clean and efficient. Hope the our citizens are responsible and look after it. Afterall how much can one expect the govt to do?
Anita said…
So cool! Can't wait to try it
Syed said…
Good to see the metro catching up...Chennai traffic solution lies in the metro for sure, provided there is enough(paid?) 2 and 4 wheeler parking below the major stops and the straight lines becoming a labyrinth
Jerina J said…
Sriram - You are so right. Just yesterday I saw (in disgust) a guy piddling on the roof of a house. He couldn't care one bit about people watching him or that it is his house and how unhygienic it would be. If people like these inhabit this city of ours, then I don't have much hope for the metro remaining clean.
Jerina J said…
Niaz - That's an update to this blog. There is 2-wheeler and 4-wheeler parking available. I have tried the two wheeler parking for just Rs. 10 for 5 hours. I don't remember what the slabs are, but it was definitely reasonable than the tickets ;)
Priyanthi said…
I totally enjoyed the ride from Nehru Park to the airport and back. The plus point is that unlike the bus stands and train stations, vendors of any kind are not allowed inside the metro and the metro stations. That itself reduces the littering majorly.....Plus, I would say that the metro cost is still prohibitive for the lower strata of society. So the crowds will not be much, and in a country with our population, that itself will result in minimum littering. Here's hoping it remains clean.
Sarah said…
so excited to do a catch up session with your blog! can't wait to keep reading.
I have been hearing so much about this metro and have been waiting to see the end result of all the laborious construction that has been going on. reading your post has satisfied my curiosity. I've been very skeptical about how the system would work in India, but looks like it has and hopefully will stay so.
Great read...as usual...informative as well as entertaining! good one Jeri!
Jerina J said…
So true Priyanthi. What is sad is that the general population needs to be inconvenienced with a fare hike and/or absenting vendors or eating inside the train in order to maintain the quality of transportation. We are not a cleanliness conscious population. The attendants and the sweepers working there should take pride in their work and be strict about littering or defacing. Let's hope things remain clean. :)
Jerina J said…
Sarah!Thanks for coming by and reading the post. As of now the Metro is a matter of pride for us Chennaites. In spite of the cost, I will choose this mode of transportation for my commute as it is so comfortable and the distances are swallowed in no time. Try it soon!

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those