Skip to main content

How much did you pay for your dinner today?

S and I, who have had helped improve business of many establishments during our dating days, are finding it very difficult to ease into the dining scene after the brief hiatus brought in by our little Anakutti. Eating out has yielded pretty unsatisfactory results with very few restaurants deeming a second visit. I can't help but wonder if it has become the norm for restaurants to dish out mediocre stuff and make the diner feel privileged to part with his hard earned money that may have not been worth the dining experience.

Take the case of Double Roti in Anna Nagar East. This restaurant chain has been touted as the best sandwich/burger joint to have happened to Chennaiites and we were expected to feel happy that they had graced us with their presence. (Oh how I miss good ol Mash, this side of town).This Delhi based restaurant has earned rave reviews on Zomato, which is soon proving to be a not so trustworthy review site for a 40 year old foodie. People have been raving about this place since it has opened but when you read closely to what's written, you can find an almost apologetic account of the 'hit-miss' kind of food. Something must have clicked for them to forgive the dishes that didn’t work – the service perhaps?

The place has exposed brick walls with red pipes running on the ceiling, and metal chairs placed around non-fussy wood tables, giving it a rustic, industrial feel. I don't think the aim is to encourage lounging here; it is more like a dhaba where you sit, eat and go...fast. Food is served in steel pans with neither a fork or a napkin in sight. There was not much spending happening on their part as far as ambiance or cutlery went. And perhaps this and the quirky, funny writing on the wall is their USP and I wouldn’t be complaining about all this at all if I had the smallest conviction that the food justified the cost.

The food should at least make up for the whooping Rs.1200/- for two bill, exclusive of taxes, right? Wrong. The place is known for their burgers and milkshakes, but their Chipotle Chicken Burger had not a shred of lettuce or crunch in it and S's Veg Mexican Wave burger which had salsa in it was too sour. Is it too much to ask for a burger that had a veggie or two - tomato and a shred of lettuce? After S's fiasco with Fish and Chips (an oily end product) which for him sets the bar of a restaurant, I was glad he liked his burger at least; not 'rave worthy' like, just the 'I'm not disappointed' like. My sad, small burger costed me Rs. 300 and S's was Rs. 235/- . The fish and chips which looked like it was in cold storage and was heated up in the kitchen, was Rs. 250/-. The bill pinched my heart and appetite. I feel like inviting those silly phellows who are harping about their Maggi soaked in chicken curry and bacon (@195+ each) to take a hike...literally, to their kitchen. Mix these ingredients with a packet of Rs. 12 Maggi and tell me if it doesn't taste the same. 

Ignoring the above disappointments would have been easier if there was a flash of good, personalized service. One look at the dour, disinterested waiter and I was ready to see the back of the restaurant. It looked as if they were not getting paid much to hang around there taking orders. Food drowned in sauce and cheese – fatty, yummy, tummy filling types, restaurant pepped up with interesting decor, supported by clever advertising and brand building seems enough to make one feel they are privileged to be a part of the dining experience, which in actuality should be the right of a diner. If this is the trend then it is a sad state of affairs. And if the target group are the 20-30 year olds (whom I didn’t see many of; families graced the tables in equal numbers) are going to lap up this trend, then people like me may as well sit and home and attempt eating Maggi with sausages (were they gourmet?) on it.

(I haven't uploaded any pictures as I wasn't inspired to take any)

Another restaurant that left me feeling a bit cheated was Basil With A Twist. It had mixed reviews when it opened, but P had liked it and though the pricey-ness of the restaurant was a decisive factor, she had voted for their authentic food.  I got the opportunity to visit the place only recently, and time can change a lot of perceptions. The ambiance was a huge let down for me. Basil with a Twist had very ordinary interiors; the seating was functional and uninspired. A line of tables were arranged against the window overlooking Habibullah road and there were a couple of big tables arranged across the room. Other than the open kitchen and a kind of a conference room, there didn’t seem anything much.

So the 700 -800 odd rupees one was going to shell out had to rest on the food and the service. The food was good, there is no denying that. Since I had gone with a group of friends, I had the opportunity of sampling a wide variety of items which would have been impossible if I had gone with the husband. 



The pumpkin soup was indeed yummy and so was their Mediterranean panko chicken starter, especially the dainty, light on the palate sauces that came with it. The grilled chicken breast with pepper sauce was very good but their chicken arabiata penne pasta was average and so was the Veg Harmony pizza. But what capped the lunch for me was their sinful mousse la chocolate. Ah the Europeans, they sure get their desserts right. I would risk a visit with S perhaps to sample that alone. 

( I didn't click the dessert because I was busy licking my plate clean)

But the question here too was, how were they justifying the price? Soups don’t come one by two (which is such a lovely Indian concept – efficient and thrifty). You get charged for 2+ whether you like it or not and that is around 395 Rs for soup that could have been shared at half the price. Similarly, we wanted to share our main dishes since their prices were steep but the otherwise recalcitrant waiter/steward saw to it that we got billed in the 2+ category even though we had expressly told him that we would share it among ourselves.

Price would not be a factor if the service, the ambiance and/or the food justified it; otherwise the five star restaurants of our city would be out of business by now. But here, the warmth in service was lacking, in fact it bordered on taking advantage of the unsuspecting diner. I am not sure how many repeat customers they expect other than perhaps the crew from the nearby Radaan Mediaworks, which if one were into such things would give an opportunity for celebrity spotting. But if I had to pay this kind of money to see a bearded Sharath Kumar huddled in a discussion with his team, I would rather buy a day’s ticket to AVM studios. I’m sure that would be cheaper than my bill.

This friends, is the restaurant scene in Chennai...at least the ones I had the misfortune to visit. How has your dining experience been? When did you last have a dining experience that was worthy of the price or did you just come away feeling like you should have liked it because others have?

Did you have to ask yourself, how much did I pay for today’s dinner?




Comments

prasanna said…
Very good Jeri :). Ur flavour is everywhere! Saucy and crisp tempered with spicy English :)
Jerina J said…
:-D That's great coming from you!
Anita said…
It is strange that so many people eat out these days and still the restaurant scene is not improving! Clearly we need more discerning customers like you
Priyanthi said…
I agree.....it's been a long time since a restaurant has blown me away. I can't remember the last time that happened. I have high hopes for ITC Grand Chola's new south Indian restaurant, but the prices there means that, it has to be a one off "special event" celebration meal.
Jerina J said…
What worries me is if I am one of the minorities. The restaurants that I have mentioned are still at a good rating. The people eating out majorly these days are really young, fresh out of college or just into a new job. Looks like fatty, dripping with sauce and cheese, satiating hunger kind of food is what most want, and so long as they are getting that, no one's complaining.

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those