Skip to main content

The Month That Was - June

When you get a groove going, time flies - Donald Fagen

Yep I am trying to get into a groove of things, only to realize that time indeed flies. June has been insanely busy after the dead, dull May that just went by. In addition to devoting time to improve spirituality or at least commune with my Almighty in the holy month of Ramadan, I had to juggle training assignments, Ana kutti's first day/s in school, organize a couple of surprise birthday parties, battle a stomach bug that affected Ana kutti and me which later led to dysentery in Ana kutti  and attend my higher secondary school batch reunion. Not to forget get ready to celebrate Eid ul Fitr at the end of the month. June didn't look like it had just 30 days.



Initially, I was failing miserably at instilling in me a sense of calmness and peacefulness that is so important for my prayers in the month of Ramzan. More often than not, I found myself rushing through the initial part of the prayers with a myriad thoughts fighting for space in my mind.

I had to console myself with the belief that it will happen - me achieving that elusive inner peace. Just not immediately. Not with the brat of the house jumping on the bed nearby or bending down like a hen and mimicking me with an impish smile. Or the said seeker doing what this picture rightly shows:




The saving grace had been of course the completion of the whole month's fasting despite the excesses of regular life. Having come of age, mentally, at least I am able to make efficient use of my time during salat. I made it a point to pray for the well-being of all the people whose lives have touched mine; a younger me had not really dwelt much on this important part of asking dua. At that time prayers were crammed with a lot of beseeching for personal goals to be achieved and dreams to come true with well being of loved ones coming in as a afterthought.  I feel good that I am getting better at thinking of a larger group (a feat many friends seem to be good at).  So if a long time wish of yours gets done, you know who also to thank for. ;).

Lesson learnt: There is a time for everything. Try and enjoy everything or at least much of what is happening in the present, even though it may not seem like a big thing. Boy how we miss the good times later. 



Ana kutti holding S's hand when she was 6 months old
The most poignant and perhaps important aspect of this month has been Ana kutti's foray into school. The feelings it evoked in me surprised my practical self. At best of times I am an emotional hyper-body, mulling over imagined slights or hints of a problem  and then spend some more time trying to climb my way out of the pit I had dug myself into.

Me, a good ten years ago probably


All that lasted until S came into my life and set about arranging my priorities so that I was not jumping at the slightest hint of an emotion trigger. He grounded me good. But it seemed like all of that hard work was getting undone by this little mite's entry into school.

So, I not only found myself dragging my feet and having second thoughts about starting her off so early in school, but also found myself getting all possessive about sharing my little one with this larger social circle. I felt bereft as she walked into the school on the first day and aimed for the outdoor games. My heart did little somersaults whenever she searched for me to share a happy moment or an experience. Ah!I was still her best friend; that was a mild comfort. Not for long I think. Boo hooo hoo.

And to think that only the previous month, I had taken a solemn oath on her birthday to let her be and to not control her! So not easy. It is quite frustrating to know that I am not in the thick of things anymore and that those few hours she is away from home, closeted in her nursery school I just don't know what she's up to or what is happening. Don't judge me just yet, you see, like many lucky parents I have been the center of her universe and around whom she goes round and round. Now the thing that seems to take her fancy somewhat is the merry-go-round in school that goes round and round.

Ah life.

Lesson learnt: Love the little one dearly, but yeah stick to the earlier commitment made to self to 
allow her the freedom to discover things herself. Present opportunities for her as and when required. 



Comments

Sriram P B said…
I can only 😊
Anita said…
Totally agree. Each milestone bringing them one step closer to independence is such a moment of pride and sadness!
And S may as well get used to tears happening all the way till you wave her off to college.

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those