Skip to main content

Tea Trails - Chai Anyone?

The new cafe on the block (Anna Nagar East), Tea Trails is un-apologetically tea-centric. I don't think I have come across a menu book just for tea in a long while. Though it is a boon to tea drinkers, this may put off quite a few of the non-tea drinkers or the non-tea aficionados, but only until they come to the 'chai' page. What a selection! Rubbing shoulders with the delicate green teas and black tea choices was this intriguing list of milky tea (chai). I don't enjoy tea if it doesn't have proper milk and masala in it, as I can't for the life of me deduce the delicate differences in the aroma/ flavour of these brewed beverages. And since I can make a mean chai myself, I make do with the various hot and cold coffee options offered across cafes in the city. There are very few joints however that do serve the obsequious milk tea with masala, but that is about the one option. Here, there is a whole page dedicated to 'chai' - a whole page. There is adhrak chai (ginger tea), cinnamon chai, kulhad chai, irani chai etc. 






The husband and I had a cinnamon chai (milky, but with a strong cinnamon flavour) and a kulhad chai (with strong hint of clove...yes, cloves) each. I found both very comforting...just the right kind of tea I shall sit with on a monsoon evening (which is hopefully round the corner) watching the lazy traffic go by. The cafe has wooden tables and comfortable chairs set around an island where the beverages are made and looked like it could seat about 40. The bun maska which I ordered along with the tea was yummicilious. I found it very hard to resist the buttery, sweet, dripping with goodness soft warm bun. If you have got a sweet tooth, don't miss ordering this. You'll thank me later. 

We were not too hungry, so we ordered their roast chicken salad and the veggie blast pizza. Both the items hit the right boxes for us. We chose the vinaigrette dressing for the salad - it was tangy and smokey. The veggie blast pizza was thankfully not drowned in cheese and was flavourful. It was soft and light, but the base was a tad underdone. 

Hits: 

The ambiance is beautiful. Praveena, one of the owners is an architect and her hand is seen in much of the tasteful interiors. This place invites lounging, with its unpretentious yet warm interior. I loved the verdant creation at the entrance and look forward to their outdoor seating, which they hope to open soon. 

The food tastes good and is quite reasonable. I am surprised other reviewers found it expensive. I thought it was what is charged these days in good cafes. I am a big sucker for a close authentic taste and this place did not disappoint with the two continental dishes we sampled. 

The staff are helpful and eager. 

Misses:

The presentation could be more gourmet, especially since the items in the menu sound and read that way. I felt the cut of the veggies and the presentation was quite rustic, and I don't mean it in a good way. 

The staff need more training in handling cutlery and in presenting the dishes better. It is not nice to see clumsy staff and those who don't know which end of the spoon to touch. 

However, I shall overlook these setbacks and place my trust on the good food served here. I intend to get my girlies here for a relaxed evening, as the menu is extensive and the promise of good chai with good food and company seems hard to resist.

Comments

Priyanthi said…
That sounds like my kind of place.....can't wait to try. Especially bun maska.....
Anita said…
Oh gosh. The tea selection sounds amazing!! *Have *to*try*
Jerina J said…
Was thinking of you Priya when I went there. You'll love the selection of teas available there. We should probably take Sandeep there too :D He could review the tea there ;)
Jerina J said…
That should be one of the things we should strike off the list when you get here. And soooooon please :D

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those