Skip to main content

Montessori Education



Ana Kutti was two last month and she started pre-school this month. After repeatedly telling ourselves that schooling for Ana kutti needn’t start until she was three and a half, we surprised ourselves by going on and doing just the opposite. The months precluding this event of enrolling her to a school was fraught with no less tension and decision making. Why would a relatively smart, outgoing girl like her who had quite a repertoire of nursery rhymes, phrases and concepts under her belt need to get to school so soon? Definitely not because we wanted her out of our hair for a few hours a day. Nope. We just couldn’t have enough of her. Yeah I know I do sound like one of those sappy mothers but that is what late motherhood would do to you. J.

One relative comfort I had from the whole exercise was the realization that I was still a lot better than those parents who had enrolled their kids in a most happening school in Chennai when the said child was still a tiny zygote in the mother’s womb. No, I am not kidding. If admission is needed in this school, one should have procured the admission forms when the child was still in the womb. No matter where in the city one was, the parent wanted his/her child to get enrolled there. Not much decision making there I suppose, only the stress of getting admission. And if ermmm...planned wisely, then the problem got solved in the er...conception stage itself.

 As I said, though my problems were remotely near wanting to send my child a zillion kilometres away from home every day, adding to the pollution and subtracting any quality time she might have if she were not travelling from one end of town to the other, I still had to make a choice of the kind of education that would benefit her - Kindergarten or Montessori or something else entirely.



Though there were a lot of schools available in the city there was precious little review on how good either type of education was. One had to simply bank on the superfluous details given in the school websites themselves. Ranking bodies like educationworld.in gave out numbers based on some good parameters, but most schools in their list did fall in the zillion kilometres away geography. Aside from shifting to the said area, I had to contend with schools that gave me a good feel. Still none of our Indian websites could tell me if Montessori was better than regular nursery or vice versa and if the ones in Chennai had a good ranking or not.

Ana kutti is a gregarious child. She beckons random strangers and says a happy, smiling ‘hi’ to them. She has no problems walking up to a peer and chit chatting in that childish babble of hers. She was also doing quite well with identifying colours and day to day objects. She was happy singing along rhymes with me in tune. Her favourites being Johnny Johnny, Wheels of the Bus and Ba ba black sheep. She is smart and communicates confidently, albeit with words I understand or through some understandable actions. So the question really was how much more memorising would she really need to do before she began regular school i.e., LKG?



I was leaning towards Montessori education ad I needed more data to support my hunch. Most importantly I had to arm myself with suitable arguments if I had to pull S to my side. S was still holding on to the hope of homeschooling her; never having to face sending her out of his sight. He still doesn’t know that his wife (who would have to do the homeschooling) was a tad lazy woman masquerading as a perky home maker. Homeschooling was a huge responsibility and I was not taking any of it. 

So decision time.

What is Montessori?
According to Wikipedia - Montessori education is an educational approach developed by Italian physician and educator Maria Montessori. Her approach was characterized by an emphasis on independence, freedom within limits, and respect for a child's natural psychological, physical, and social development.



Requirements for a school to be Certified Montessori (from Wikipedia)
·         Mixed age classrooms; classrooms for children ages  2 12 or 3 to 6 years old are by far the most common, but 0-3, 6-9, 9-12, 12-15, and 15-18 year old classrooms exist as well.
·         Student choice of activity from within a prescribed range of options
·         Uninterrupted blocks of work time, ideally three hours
·         constructivist or "discovery" model, where students learn concepts from working with materials, rather than by direct instruction
·         Specialized educational materials developed by Montessori and her collaborators
·         Freedom of movement within the classroom
·         A trained Montessori teacher

Benefits of Montessori:
All of the above had me instantly hooked. However a few really impressed me with their stress on independent learning.

1.       Children between the age of 2-6 years work and learn together. The progress in learning of a child is independent of academic year and is instead dependent on his/her grasp of concepts. So if a 3 year old is adept at learning certain math concepts earlier than expected, he/she would have the freedom of pursuing the subject with peers who might not necessarily be from his/her age group.

2.       As a trainer and L&D consultant I know the change in mindset one goes through when teaching is replaced by facilitating. In other words, we help participants engage and come out with solutions to concepts themselves instead of show and tell. The same seems to apply to Montessori certified teachers. They are called facilitators and are trained to develop a learning environment conducive to the child and meticulously observe and record a child’s growth and behaviour.

3.       In addition to academic skills, children are exposed to life skills like art, stitching and crocheting, gardening etc. I love that there is not just a lot of nursery rhymes being learnt and games being played and mindless activities being followed, but also the concept of size and shape and numbers and letters being taught by understanding and not by rote. Add to this an impetus to develop independent learning in a child and I was sold.  


Armed with this information I managed to bring the husband around and have admitted her into a school that should shape her future. But how did I narrow down on the school she is going to, right now? Well that is another post. J

Comments

Shoby said…
Looking forward to the promised Part 2.
Priyanthi said…
Oh dear....this sounds more difficult than rocket science.
Jerina J said…
Shoby - on it. Priyanthi - I shudder to think what will be the case of future generations :-D
Sriram P B said…
😀 Wow that indeed was a tough one. Lol

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those