Skip to main content

Ramble In The Blog

It’s been three months since Anakutti’s birthday, and I’m yet to write a post about the party, her first year in this world, how my life has changed after her arrival and such relevant data as needed for a mother who has a bad case of forgetfulness, like me. And this is a dangerous sign of things to come. Anakutti’s cuteness and antics are multiplying day by day, plus there are so many changes in her personality that the camera is just not able to capture. Many times she stands mutely when I focus the camera on her, only for her to jump back to her antics the moment I put the offending object (for her) away; also one of the reasons why I have too many pictures of her with a poker face. People even ask me if she smiles at all, when the little imp is forever gurgling with laughter and flashing cheeky grins and making goofy faces at us...just not in front of the camera.

I’m digressing; of course that it is not new for those of you who have the patience to read through all my blog posts. So, why haven’t I been able to competently record her growth and milestones? After Anakutti’s entry into our lives, I seem to be losing track of the days going by. Everything happens either incidentally or as a reaction, with very few things good and bad that is happening as expected. For example, her first flu and cold attack. It started rather harmlessly and I started her medication feeling on top of the game. Only that it was a flu and it refused to budge even after a fortnight. And though there wasn’t much for me to do than to follow the doctor’s advice of avoiding crowded areas and other people with similar symptoms, it was rather heartbreaking to see her struggling to breathe through her blocked nose and cough. That was incidental and S and I spent many days helplessly reacting. Before the bout of cold, there was this beautiful time around her first birthday, from her 8th month to be precise, when there were so many things happening. She was cruising in her baby walker one day, crawling another day and suddenly she was up and about – walking hesitantly at first, falling on her nappy clad butt a lot; coasting the furniture a little and then just running. All this by the time she reached her 8th month. It was a pleasure to see her comical penguin walk – her feet stuck out, her hands flapping as she barreled forward. But before we knew it she had progressed from walking to climbing and getting off the bed and sofa. S and I hardly felt like we had taught her to walk and run. I don’t remember coaxing her to take those faltering steps towards me or even holding her hand to steady her gait. It was like she was determined to do it all herself. Since she was preoccupied with mastering that milestone, I got all of that recorded. But to sit down and write all that down? She was living her life in front of me and I was damned if I were to take my eyes off for even a second.

Okay, I did sound a bit bombastic over there. There were times when I just couldn’t wait to get hold of a book and pen or even my laptop or phone to write something down. How hard must it be, you wonder, to get these implements to do your bid? Much like the pen playing truant every time you would want to write down a number or an important piece of information, my book to pen bid is rather grandly sabotaged by my curious daughter. The pen is pulled, jammed, swatted or flicked with robotic precision. And if I managed to save the long, pointed object (that’s how she must be seeing it, I think), then the book takes the brunt of her ministrations. The same for the laptop too. My phone is a different game all together. Earlier she was happy to merely do any of the above with the phone too, but I can already see what peer pressure is doing to her. A couple of silent and studious interactions with her older friends (read, older by two - three years), and she has taken to plucking the phones and swiping her fingers randomly over the screen. And she’s not very happy with a blank screen, as she stares or holds the object tightly in her fingers willing it to glow. Thankfully she doesn’t yet throw a tantrum when we remove this potential threat to all our sanity from her hands, but our determined troubleshooting of this problem belongs in another blog post.

 So pending a choice of swatting at her and shooing her away from the above implements, I find myself trying to write when she is asleep and found to my surprise that I hardly had any time at all. And when I do, my brain refuses to cooperate. Her morning nap coincides with my yoga class or my training assignments, and her afternoon naps are coming to a grinding halt. She sleeps only by 8:30pm as against those ‘restful’ days when she slept by 6:30pm. By 8:30pm there’s only few things left to do – prepare and eat dinner, surf channels mindlessly, stare at the newspaper and build enough anger and worry at what kind of future is in store for her as she grows up, return calls of exasperated friends who very soon might give up on you, watch Master Chef Australia and wonder when you might get to eat or try such recipes in the near future, toss between a fantastic book and social media, with the latter winning most of the time, and then hit the sack. You get my drift don’t you? All of the above activities are mindless ones and do nothing to improve the quality of my life. Leave recording Anakutti’s milestone for posterity, there is not even a tangible record of the time that is slipping away in my day. Only if I am aware of what is happening around me during those pockets of free time – the time when I am not reacting to something, will I be able to understand what I want to do with it. If I don’t, then I lose focus and these precious years will hardly register in my mind. I’m reminded of this beautiful expression from Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale – “What I need is perspective. The illusion of depth, created by a frame, the arrangement of shapes on a flat surface. Perspective is necessary. Otherwise there are only two dimensions. (...)Otherwise you live in the moment. Which is not where I want to be.” Definitely for my dimpled baby’s sake, I’d like to get some perspective of my life at present and that’s why this ramble in the blog, which you have painstakingly read through.

Thanks for that! It means a lot to me. It’s your interest and your patience that has helped bring this sporadically updated blog to cross 10,000 page views. Long time coming, but yeah I’m stoked.


Let me leave you with this beautiful, addictive Ilaiyaraja’s number, that’s been playing around in my head on loop for a few days now. This long forgotten song has many associations of my childhood, and it brought a warm, much-needed nostalgic interlude into my rushed life. It pushes past my throat and my tongue and works its way out as long forgotten lyrics which I hum as I go about my chores and thereby earning a grin or a snapping of fingers or a brisk bobbing of a little body that follows me every waking second. 

Comments

Sriram P B said…
An enjoyable account of a mother's experience of a first born. I'm sure there's a lot more to look forward to. ��
Priyanthi said…
Wow.....that sounds like a whirlwind of a busy day. Keep it going!!

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those