Skip to main content

Ana kutti's First Birthday

Ana kutti turned one early May and the previous months had been hectic, in a pleasant way. Her first birthday had been more important to me than she would ever know. I wanted it to be a memorable one…for me. (cheeky grin). In my defence, I come from a middle class family where birthday parties were meant to be attended and not for celebrating. And as is the case with that generation, I didnt see anything amiss. I was perfectly happy taking a box of chocolates to school and getting back home to have special dal payasam made by mum. The first time I celebrated my birthday was while I was in college when I was doing my post graduation.

But now, I wanted to live a bit vicariously through Ana. So I started with her e-card. The guest list and what I wanted for the party were all meticulously written down in my diary. And the e-card was going to give me an idea of the attendees. I checked various card designs on Google Images and I wanted ones that were pink and of complementary colours. 

Some of the backgrounds that I liked. Google Images

That included purple and white and orange and green. All pale. I also wanted to include Ana kutti’s picture in it. The ones I had taken all through her first year were good but not of high pixel. I enlisted a dear friend’s help and we spent an enjoyable afternoon getting her to pose and taking pictures with an iPhone and a Canon. 

Once that was done it was about getting the picture on to the e-card. After several tries which included stumbling onto some new stuff on MS PPT, I was able to get the background done. For editing her picture I used two apps from my android – Eraser and PhotoLayers. Both apps were free and I was able to use this basic tool to get the work done. Eraser helps you cut out unnecessary parts of a picture and place that picture onto another one. Photo Layers as the name implies adds layers to your photo. So you can take one clip art or an edited object and place it on your picture. It’s pretty cool.

I made the card into a PPS with a birthday song going on loop and I added a second slide which was singularly the best thing I could think of to recognize the importance of the day. 


From Elle Belle Blog

I had asked guests to contribute to a time capsule which will be opened on Ana kutti’s 18th birthday. I had seen the invite in Elle Belle's blog and I was impressed by how well crafted and thoughtful the invite and the concept was. The guests for Ana's birthday were mostly uncles and aunts with no fellow one year old. So I had to think of something to mark the day, and this time capsule idea was a good one! I had many people asking me to explain it better and later, thoughtfully bringing along their contribution to mark the day which will be seen 18 years later.

Thought bubbles from Unstumble

I did ruminate about the return gifts for guests. It ranged from donating tree saplings to getting personalized items for them to use. But what seemed like a terrific idea considering the profile of the guests, was a photo session with their family with/without thought bubbles that I got from Unstumble on Amazon. We decorated the space with fairy lights and balloons and had guests pose against the backdrop. It was fun and it was an excuse for everyone to dress up. KA Candids took care of the photo session and covering the whole event.




The venue and the food were not a problem at all as we hosted everyone at our favourite place, the Madras Gymkhana Club lawn. There was greenery and space and the guests were able to move around and try out the tasty buffet selected by S. I am a believer that good food makes a good event. 



The birthday cake was a cute white chocolate and raspberry compote cake with pink ombre rosettes. I liked the idea of pink rosettes as it was a trending cake décor now. All credit for the cake goes to Bake O Clock by home baker Sneha. She understood what I wanted and delivered without any glitches. The fairy lights, the Happy Birthday Banner, pink and white balloons to compliment Ana’s lovely 3D butterfly frock from my favourite website Hopscotch, the blackboard poster from Prettyurparty marking Ana kutti’s first year – all just merged well. It's a worth a mention that after many days of contemplating whether to get a designer to do her dress, I fell back on my trustworthy online shop Hopscotch to choose a dress for the little one. Not only was it perfectly girly and delightful, but it was also wearable and soft on her skin. I didn’t really set out with a pink and white setting, but as I started organizing stuff, it seemed like a good colour theme.

Butterfly dress - Hopscotch.in

Sample board - Prettyurparty.com

There are beautiful memories of that day and some lovely, thoughtful ones that she might open on her 18th birthday. For now, I should get those memories recorded in a photo album. That's another craft work that is waiting to be completed in my to-do list. 

Comments

Sriram P B said…
It was a lovely evening indeed. The weather was not bad, with occasional gentle sea breeze keeping us from getting too sultry. Good friends gathered. Well planned program by the mother .Excellent food with over twelve different short eats which for many turned out into an early dinner.

Yes, a nice first year birthday celebration for the little one. ��
Priyanthi said…
Loved everything about Anahita's first birthday. I do hope we are all around to see her open the time capsule when she's eighteen
Sarah said…
What a lovely party! Loved reading all the well planned details. You are such awesome mother!
Jerina J said…
Thanks guys! Hope the details are helpful to other awesome mothers :-D
Kids Sleepover said…

It’s great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same out of date rehashed material. Fantastic read.Best Kids birthday ideas service provider
aksensemble said…
Thank you for sharing important information with us.
Aks ensemble are the experts in fashion who help you to decide what would be the best for you to wear in this fashion era for any special event or event. Because you also know that "First impression is the last impression". Aks Ensemble gives you the best of lace outfits that enhance your character in a unique way.
As :-

designer party wear gowns
ladies kaftan dresses
salwar suit
saree collection
Fusion Sets

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those