Skip to main content

Proud To Be A Woman




Every year on International Women’s Day, I am faced with a dilemma – to celebrate the day or to not. It was easy when the decision was not on me as when I was working in a company. The celebrations carried on whether I liked or not. People wished me on the day and I only had to thank them politely or else in the case of loved ones, retort that we women don’t need a special day to celebrate. No thanks. We shall celebrate our womanhood on all days. Just like people feel it necessary to point out unnecessary celebrations for Valentine’s or Mother’s day or New Year’s – calling it a Western influence. Some influences we come to understand are definitely worth it.

How immature I have sounded then. With age comes maturity and knowledge, and now I know not to belittle the day with a callous and uninformed mind set, when in reality a day like this should exist. It is a joke that we celebrate and feel special about ourselves every day, when actually there is evidence of the continuous conditioning women undergo in the hands of not only society but also other women, including their mothers and mothers in law. I know of my maid who is extremely upset for having given birth to a daughter...again. Her in laws including her husband had wanted a son. So she couldn’t understand my elation on giving birth to a daughter. 


Image from IWD website


Elsewhere we hear of women fighting for voting rights. Still. The twenty first century might have seen many women being successful at the workplace, but in many places there is no right to education or even the right to live. In India, we are fighting for building toilets for women and sending girls to school. The fights are endless.

Though originally started as  a day to commemorate working women and to identify it as a day when serious, empowered women had fought for gender parity and equal pay in the work place, now the day has also come to mean celebrating respect, love and appreciation towards women. Sadly, the flavour of the day is lost among celebrations that are meaningful for only that day – women are given free lunches and are asked to wear dresses of a particular colour scheme in certain organizations – with no clear idea of what the day means to us.  




A quick check of the IWD website lists the theme – Pledge for Parity, and this theme seems very relevant for working women, who I think are the intended group. For people like me, who are self employed or who have chosen to be home makers, I think there are plenty of options to commemorate the day. I have decided to blog about my views for this day and proudly display the 'I'm Proud to be a Woman' badge, and probably with this blog post hope to get one more woman who used to think like me to change her views. 



Here’s an ode to all those women in my life – those who work tirelessly at home to give a stable and clean environment for love and family values to grow; those who juggle their work and home life and complain of lack of sleep or lack of time to spend with your loved one, but still drag yourself out of bed the next day, only to give a better life to your children or family; for those who are waiting on the anvils for the right man to come along and not partake of the jamboree of the Indian wedding system; for those who think that they don’t need a man to complete themselves and that they are very fine by themselves; for those who want to pursue your dreams irrespective of the expectations of their family or society; for those who have made a choice to give up your ambitions to keep your family happy; for those who call themselves feminists and take time to think of issues plaguing women these days and fighting for it and facing public discord or contention for it; for all those women who know what they want; for all those who are truly celebrating all things that make us women – compassion, empathy, love and care; for my darling, darling mother for making me who I am; for me and for you for just being us – women.



Have an informed and meaningful day, ladies!

Comments

Brilliant! Well said - Archana Ramadoss
Priyanthi said…
Wonderful post Jerry! It used to irritate me as well, earlier, when people wished me. I'm older and wiser now, and realise its not so much about me, but a definite reminder about all those women still fighting for parity....not supremity, just parity
Jerina J said…
Thanks Archana :). Well said Priya! Exactly my sentiments.

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those