Skip to main content

A leap, jump and sprint into 2016



Happy New Year folks! The year is already up and running for me…one day folds into another, one week into another and the only assessment I have of my productivity is Anahita’s healthy growth. Touch wood. 
This situation is difficult to accept for all those who are invested in a career and who having opted for a child find yourself picking up long dropped soiled nappies, wiping barfs and urine out of your clothes, trying to keep yourself occupied in the middle of the night so that the little one can get back to sleep, reading blogs on colour of baby’s stool and its significance, common remedies for common cold…and the list can go on. It is pretty confidence –lowering work, especially in that inconceivable moment when you have the time and a magazine or newspaper near you and the picture of a successful woman is smiling at you. You’ll look for the nearest hole to bury yourself in. 
I have never considered myself to be an ambitious, go-getter with a dream to crash through the glass ceiling, but even I, this lazy, laid back me, was a bit overwhelmed by the passage of time in a day with nothing much to show than a dishevelled look and a grinning baby. Still, it is the most blessed, most beautiful experience…as beautiful as falling in love with the right man. Well, that is another post. 
As I have not really posted anything since I got pregnant, let me quickly make a mention of the things of 2015 that stood out for me. 
1. Getting pregnant and having a baby is definitely God’s gift. Period. If you do want a baby and do get pregnant, do remember to send a sincere thanks heavenwards. Considering the number of fertility clinics that are sprouting up, getting pregnant and enjoying a healthy pregnancy is definitely God’s grace. 
2. On the same note, there may be much speculation on what the most important thing is to a human being; but after the last year’s experience, I believe that my genes are the greatest gift my parents could ever give me. Strong bones and teeth, decent features, healthy constitution…yep, I’m going with good genes.
3. Everybody’s pregnancy, child birth and child-rearing experience is DIFFERENT. As many as the letters in the word times ten. So there’s no point really worrying or comparing notes. Everybody’s concern and advice is much needed but not necessarily need to be followed. 
4. It’s nice to be pregnant in India. I have never been so well looked after by friends, family and random strangers in my entire life. Lunches given in my honour, desserts dropped home, people visiting, keeping me in mind while planning anything at all…makes me want to get preggy again…well almost ;)
5. Maternity and child care industry is serious business. There may be so many things that a discerning to-be mom might think to be absolutely essential during pregnancy. Elastic pants, flared tops, baby bouncers, feeding pillow…the list is endless. I was advised time and again by a practical mother to not indulge yet. Our Indian clothes are very pregnancy friendly – our elastic tights are not a problem for the growing belly, which by the way shows a significant change only from the seventh odd month for most people. The kameez or top comes upto XXL size and more. And they flatter our Indian figure better. Unless one is working, there is really no need to splurge on maternity wear…and yeah, I do say ‘splurge’ coz they ARE expensive. The same goes for stocking up on child wear stuff. Another blog for that. 
6. There was a lot of talk about women’s right and that edgy Deepika Padukone’s ‘My Choice’ video. Though the video is hard hitting and puts forward some deep points, I had problems with it, simply because it showcased only women in it. By doing so, the video became gender specific and its points too seemed central to that of a woman. But these points should be gender neutral. A man or a woman has to have the choice to do what they want without getting judged, browbeaten or bullied by the other person. Isn’t it important to learn to respect another person than to be ‘different’ or ‘indifferent’ to a particular gender? Why isn’t empathy given more space in a relationship?  Of course our world is not perfect and little Anahita is going to probably come across her own gender related problems, but in this house, I shall try and instill in her a sense of self-respect and empathy and hopefully she’ll have the presence of mind to be able to distinguish people who don’t honour that with those who do; man or woman alike. 
7. The last year I have come across more sentiments of intolerance and making one’s religion and/or caste/creed as one’s identity than I have in so many years. It’s such a dangerous trend and it scares me slightly. More and more people don’t anymore relate to their countries it seems, instead they feel safe as communities and communities these days are religious not cultural. It is a sad state of affairs. I take pride in having studied in Christian, Hindu and Muslim run institutions and so being able to say few slokas and sing a few hymns in addition to knowing my surahs. I loved watching B R Chopra’s Ramayan and Bible ki Kahaniyaan as much as I loved sitting through bayaans. At least these memories keep me happy and have contributed to making me who I am. I take pride in the fact that my views on most sensitive topics are not extreme. I speak to engage in discussion; not to argue.  
8. If somebody laughs and tells you that you’ll have sleepless nights when the baby is born, readily believe them. Their laugh is only an affirmation of their silliness when they brushed off those words when some well -wisher told them so. 
9. The Chennai rains mostly triggers in me a feeling of guiltiness. This is strange because in some small way I too had been affected by it. I was completely cut off from my brother and family who were living in a very inundated Valasaravakkam; we had problems with water logging and power cut, but by God’s grace we were saved the trauma of losing any part of the life we had painstakingly built.  Perhaps that’s why the guilt – to have not known what it is (God forbid never know), to have been spared, to have not been able to do much. There have been plenty of deaths, plenty of instances of people losing their homes, valuables, irreplaceable memories, important documents etc. How can anybody quantify that? There were photographs of crying school children who had lost their books and identity cards in the rain. In addition to trying to come to terms with their battered lives, these children will have to undergo the trauma of getting their lives back to order. The same applies to everyone who lost something in the rains. In this though, the best part of the rains has been the spirit of many people in Chennai. The great volunteers, the amazing Coast guards and army personnel, the massive relief measures undertaken by normal people across India, the relief pouring in from all parts of the world…it was all very humbling.
10. Last but one of the most defining moments of 2015 was the darling husband’s response to my uncertainty about him looking after Anahita when I was off for my training assignments. “Perhaps I should ask mom to come and look after her on days I go for training?” I suggested. But he would have none of it. “We can’t keep disturbing her that way. Why do you worry so much?” How could I not? Having been brought up in a household where mummy did all the housework with no support from my unemphatic father, who as sweet and supportive though he was, didn’t think it was his duty to share the housework with mum which also included the nitty gritty of raising us children. The few times that he stepped into the hallowed space of the kitchen to make himself a cup of tea because mum was not in town or was unwell, was an occasion to celebrate. I could not imagine my spouse would share the responsibility of caring for his baby on his own even for a minute, leave alone a couple of hours. And I said as much to S. “It’s the first time, you know. I feel nervous wondering how you’d cope.” “ Oh come on,” he said, “how is it different for a woman who stays back to look after the baby when the husband goes to work?” And I fell all over in love with him. 
On that cheerful note, let me sign off friends with hopes of writing sooner with all those things that I’m dying to discuss and talk about. There’s so much that has happened in 2014, but has not found its way to my blog post simply because I don’t remember them. And this post was languishing in the draft folder of my laptop for that very reason – I was hoping I’d remember more. But I have sobered up. If there was more to add, there will simply be another blog post. 

Comments

Sriram P B said…
Welcome to Parenthood and stay blessed. It beats careers, social activity, holidaying etc etc. Don't believe a successful woman's picture in the print media. They might not be as successful as you think at all, or even half as successful as you are. May you keep leaping, jumping and sprinting in life. :)
Priyanthi said…
I wouldn't worry about Anahita - with you around to ensure all the right support - you can be sure she will grow up into an empathetic, confident woman with high self esteem.
And a big cheer for all the involved dad's!!
Jerina J said…
Sri - Yes, I believe that and as the thought sinks in more I will definitely blog about that. :)
Priyanthi - Such nice words! With extended aunts and uncles around I think any miss will be rectified. :-D
Unknown said…
Wow Jerry...just loved the blog...I didnt want it to end...love your style and your beautiful thoughts...way to go girl...enjoy motherhood first and foremost...the rest will follow!!!
jerry, very interesting and realistic blog....good amount of senti stuff too...enjoyed reading, keep it coming...sure you had a PRODUCTIVE year 2015 and 2016 sure will be rocking, with your little angel crawling, walking and so on....who needs to visit a gym to reduce weight!! hugs.

Jerina J said…
Sudha -That's a real compliment coming from you! You articulate so well. I will be taking your advice to heart and will try to enjoy this beautiful period. :)

Hi youngayercaud - do I know you? There is no profile of yours in your blog. Thank you for the comment. :)

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those