Skip to main content

Wishing for a predictable New Year


A Happy New Year to you!

And please wish me back, even though it’s a month late. Yeah, I need it.

There have been plenty of happy New Years in the 35 years of my life on earth, and even the others were not really ‘sad’ as much as they were ‘non-happy.’ If you know what I mean. Like sitting up in the night, waiting for the clock to strike twelve so that you can go to sleep and tell your friends the next day that yeah, I did make an effort; I stayed awake and ushered the New Year in. Like, after the euphoria following the New Year, having life and day-to-day problems take over. Nothing remarkable happening that year other than the predictable stuff. 

I cannot think of any one year that hasn't started off the way I have expected it to. Not even when dad expired on December 18th of 2008, leaving us bereft and helpless. Every single New Year  in the recent past, had started off like usual – the anticipation – what will the new year be like, the excitement – what will be the new year be like, the impatience - what will the new year be like already? The year has 365 days and there are going to be plenty of ups and downs in it. So when I talk about having a good year ahead it’s mostly about having a good start to the year. The newness lasts precisely between the cusp of the old year’s tearful leaving and the New Year’s dawn.


But after the first of January passes by, the rest of the year looks like any other year. Getting back to work on 1st of January (with or without a hangover), celebrating a slew of Indian festivals, planning holidays, paying bills…you get my drift. Really, we actually should attribute the newness of the year to how we spend the night before the New Year and probably until the euphoria lasts. For me it lasted exactly 48 hours.

Our New Year’s Eve party, which helped kick start the year, was such fun. S and I ran about the whole of 31st trying to organize the potluck party. Whoever said potluck parties are not much work, needs to have a word with me :-/. We were running about so much, trying to get things together for the party that we really didn't realize that it was the 31st of December 2013, and the party was to bid adieu to the year and welcome 2014. In the entire melee, it seemed like we were just having a great party, which incidentally, had extended in to the wee hours of 2014.


And then I got pulled into such a vortex of worry, anxiety, late nights and sleeplessness, that I had a tough time believing that indeed it was the January of 2014. Now I am surfacing one month later to wish you all and experience the newness of the year. But I guess the newness seems to have long gone. There might have been Facebook updates galore, clocking memories of 2013 on various media, lists drawn of the best and worst of 2013 etc etc. For me though, it will all have to start now, one month later. And if my weird superstitious beliefs are to be taken seriously then even this situation is not so bad really.

I have certain superstitions beliefs. Ahem…not the ‘don’t walk under the ladder’ or ‘step back if you see a black cat” kind, but the ones that make sense only to me. It’s purely unproven, and the odds are that the results would never the same, but that wouldn't stop me from believing the signs every single year. So it’s like this. I believe that:
  1. The people with whom I spend the first day of the New Year, will be a part of my life for the whole year too.
  2.  Whatever activity/activities or experiences I predominantly have on the first day will continue through the year.
  3. And this belief can loosely be valid for twenty days prior and post the New Year’s dawn.

As per the above beliefs, the New Year had indeed started off well. We had that party that I wrote about and got to spend time with more friends than in most New Year's Eve parties. Our friends have been a huge part of our life so far. I can’t even imagine how we’d have carried on without their support and presence. So yeah, more of those in 2014 we welcome with open arms. And then we woke up, all groggy, after merely 3 hours of sleep, to let the maid in. She brought the house back to the spic and span condition that we both liked.
  1.  So in spite of the excesses of social life, I could hope for the practical, mundane things to move smoothly along. This, even though, I am writing at a time when that very same maid has left the job. But…but on hindsight I must say things have moved smoothly along. She was sloppy and I am enjoying household chores right now. The house is still spic and span if I may say so.
  2. But could I ignore the other glaring reminder of my insane hmmm…superstition? I got only 3 hours of sleep in the New year! This for a person who calculates sleep hours and ensures she makes up for it somewhere in the day!
Yet this was exactly what happened, when mum fell ill and was admitted in the ICU on 2nd January 2014. Sleep became a distant memory, hassle and stress became second nature to me and for the very first time the weight of responsibility fell on me. Now on hindsight, I must say, we coped pretty well and she is well and recuperating.The things I have learnt about myself and of others during this scary time, will help me in facing the future too. When she was going through the pain of the symptoms of her illness (caused by Scrub typhus), I couldn't help feeling that the year had actually started bad, but now I can only say that yay, the year has started well. It reinforced my trust in our group of friends, got my family together, gave us a perspective about how precious mum was for all of us, and gave us a chance to connect with relatives who have hardly visited us since dad's death. 

And if I am true to myself, then even the loss of sleep situation could be due to a good thing, right? The other night, after what seemed like a long time, I booked a night show for Dedh Ishqiya. S and I got back only close to 2’o’clock and I had to wake up at 5a.m that day to train online a group of executives who were in in Chicago. The loss of sleep didn't matter one bit and I somehow managed the day. And who knows, if S and I are successful in having a baby this year (which is high on our agenda), then any loss of sleep due to my pregnancy or the little bundle of joy would be welcome. Fingers crossed.


So what am I looking for in this year? Hopefully not more of heart-stopping episodes like mum’s illness. I’d rather trade for a mundane year with my usual hackneyed attempts to get more focused about my writing, interspersed with planning for holidays and movies and outings with friends and dreaming of mum’s yummy biriyani, reading plenty more books than last year, get in shape, try different cuisines (I know it clashes with the previous point) and doing loads and loads of the same things that made last year so special.



 



And I wish the same for you.  Hope this year is filled with all things that are mundane and predictable so that you have the time to plan for all the other things that you always wanted to do. 


Comments

Priyanthi said…
Here's hoping the worst part of the year is over for you...... And looking forward to all the lovely times ahead.
Jerina J said…
Thanks babes! :) And I am happy that you shall be a part of those lovely times too.
Syed said…
makes some nice reading, Jeri...hope you have a fabulous year 2014, and may your wishes come true !!
Unknown said…
Since I am going to be part of your life this year and many more ( you don't have a way out) ..don't forget to share that biriyani with me. And let's work out and get in shape together. I 've already started on that one. Happy happy New Year Jeri.
Sriram P B said…
I won't even wish you as I know for sure that your year will be awesome and you will make it equaly awesome for all those people's lives you touch :-)
Jerina J said…
@Syed - Thanks Syed! You spending more time with us is one such wish. Keep that in mind.

I think it might just work (according to my theory) as you were one of the owls who sat till 4a.m with us. ;)
Jerina J said…
Shobs - See we are so alike :) Biriyani and work out in the same sentence. Only you and I can think of something like that.

Will do, by the way.
Jerina J said…
Sri - Awwwww....that is spoken like the true you. Luv you :)

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those