Skip to main content

Thoda India, Thoda Hum

So the countdown to our wedding has started. Slated to be held on June 24th of this year, the preparations for the same are going well…well… I guess not so well. But my enthusiasm and creative rush is hard to contain. I just hope I channelize it to something fruitful…like…well getting myself a tasteful and intimate wedding.
Anyway coming back to this post, I have decided to put in top headlines from local newspapers and relate it to my experience of the same day. Let’s see what comes of it. Here goes…

June 1st: Jaya’s Frenetic Pace.
(CM Jaya took a slews of steps to implement her vision for TN’s development….)
And here in the very same Chennai, the capital city, one Ms. JJ has also started at a frenetic pace towards her wedding preparations. Yup. I have. At least that is how I was on Day 1. I did a small dress rehearsal and liked what I saw. I tried on my sindoor red and off white matka (?) silk saree and loved the very auspicious look it gave me. I even tried on a bit of make up with some good results. And went to sleep with images of me looking exotic in the red sari and flowers and kajal and sindoor and bangles and… yawn.



June 2nd: Downpour Takes City by Surprise
I didn’t do anything much after my initial downpour of enthusiasm the previous day. More like the downpour yesterday being a false alarm for the monsoon. But rain is rain and I loved the fact that this month is blessed with the first of the rains…even if it was a minor thunderstorm.



June 3rd: Day after groveling, Govt. to adopt balanced approach on Ramdev
Thankfully I didn’t have to grovel to anyone but I did take a balanced approach to this whole wedding planning. We started with finalizing the dates once more. Initially we had planned to register the wedding on 24th June and have a small dinner for our closest kin on 26th June. But S and I have now done away with 26th and have decided to combine the two activities and hold it on 24th June. So now it’s gonna be a one day pressure than something stretched over 3 days.



June 4th: No Birthday Bash, Partymen Disappointed
Ah so sad for MK Karunanidhi. But not so for me!!! Had a fabulous surprise Bachelorette party in P’s house. She had started planning this from a long time ago I believe. And it showed. We had X-rated games and lots of yummy food to keep us going. Sixty percent of the group were young mothers who had left their charges in somebody else’s care…read…flummoxed husbands and kind friends. They had to rush just like me, coz I was still Ms. Cinderella wasn’t I?



June 5th: 6000 Chennaiites Join Ramdev Fast
I'm quite unable to decide if Baba Ramdev's intention is true and that he does hold such a clout with the ruling government. Anyway there seems to be atleast 6000 chennaiites who think he is good enough, to join him in his fast. But for me it was a day for deciding the feast that we had planned for the wedding. Since we have decided to host a small dinner for the neighbours, relatives and friends, we had to plan the menu for the same. I plan to go to my trusted source, Ambur Biriyanis, a dinky little shop in T Nagar, churning out biriyanis to die for, for the non-vegetarians. The vegetarian menu was also planned and the catering service booked. Ah...all in a day's work.


Comments

Anita said…
ooh Someone has become nice and active. Waiting to read the rest of the wedding prep updates.
Jerina J said…
@Ani: Yep. I hope you realise that you have a big hand in me starting the updates :)

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those