Skip to main content

Chennai Rains

 Until a month ago, one of our favourite rant, barring the Covid 19 ones, has been the muggy, sweaty, humid weather we have been facing in Chennai. It gave us a certain pleasure to wring the words out of our mouths and twist them into displeasure and scrunched up faces to make up for the rivulets of sweat running down our backs. When will there be rain? When will this terrible weather leave us? When will I be able to breathe through this thick fog that has taken residence in front of my nose? Some added a few colourful swear words to make up for the utter desolation. 

The dull gray July skies

Looks beautiful, but oh god it was so humid

And now we have rains. Yes, it has been raining since Deepavali. As if regular monsoon wasn't enough to make up for the angst of the few months, the rain gods have showered this depression induced deluge down our throats to silence our ungrateful, wagging tongues. So yes, we are having a superlative weather - if you may call the cloudy sun-less sky and incessant water seeping into the walls of our houses and our audacious minds, that. 

What was I planning to do when that rain I have been waiting since  a few months ago, arrived? Certainly not what I am doing right now when it is pouring cats and dogs outside. Turn my back on it. I can hear the pounding and the near static sound of the rains and feel the chill and dampness seeping into my bones, but 'see' the rains? I haven't much. I have a balcony and three sets of windows giving me a more than elaborate view of the slanting sheet of rains, but this situation has still not translated into me enjoying the rain...not even with the cliched coffee/tea mug in hand. 

The dull, gray skies of monsoon

The rains are a part of the background now. The threat of the low pressure is eminent and the city is gearing up to meet it. Maids have given their own warnings of not turning up if the low pressure did form on 12th. As I type this post, I realize that my back is to the window, where even now the sound of vehicles moving through the water logged streets and the gentle patter of the rains is heard. I can smell the cool, rain soaked air but I cannot 'see' the rain. Each time I check the sky or the surroundings I get the feeling of not seeing the rain drops fall or even hit an object. The swatch of sky I see from my bed is gray and unpainted like a blank, dull canvas. There is no indication that it is raining. The portion of the buildings I see from my balcony are dirty and soak the rains up like greedy pigs, not letting the thick, voluminous mercury like drops to drip down with dancer like grace. The night sky is no different. There is a mist covering the tops of buildings like in a spooky movie, making the rains invisible to a casual glance.

So even though I love watching the rains, this time I find myself in a strange situation of not getting to enjoy it. I find myself thinking of the wonderful rains in Madikeri which was magical and poetic. But which did not motivate me to write so much as a line about it. The opposite of course has happened here - this blog post is a definite indication that my mind works in strange ways.  

Comments

Priyanthi said…
We crib when it's hot, we crib when it's raining. There is just no satisfying us!
Jerry said…
:-D The state of affairs, I tell you.

Reading your blog post on Paris at https://shoesandsomeotherthings.blogspot.com/?m=1, I felt more rain soaked than watching the rains here in Chennai!

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those