Skip to main content

Best Movies Watched Online in 2020

It's the last month of this trying year and a round up of my favourite movies that had helped me limp through 2020 is in order. 

Below is a list of multi lingual movies that I enjoyed watching on Amazon Prime and Disney+ Hotstar this year. Gotta warn you though, that some of the movies are old.

Best Movies Watched Online in 2020


Patakha (2018) 

1. Patakha (2018) - If like me you have somehow missed watching this movie in 2018, then do stream it on Amazon Prime and enjoy the tussle between two, might I say, patakha sisters. Vishal Baradwaj has directed this gritty comedy of two warring sisters who in their hurry for one up manship exasperate their loved ones and each other. Sanya Malhotra and Radhika Madan have delivered stellar performances which is aptly supported by Vijay Raaz and Sunil Grover. Must watch.

Haraamkhor (2015)

2. Haraamkhor (2015) - Yes, I know I am listing movies this old, but the pickings are pretty slim among 2019 especially and 2020 movies in Hindi language. Haraamkhor distracts you with light hearted scenes of a dry, sleepy village with mischievous boys tutored by a teacher who has the kicks for one of his students. We are not let in on this situation immediately, but afterwards the movie veers through strong performances to showcase the mishaps that befall the protagonists who know this dreadful secret. The narrative is jumpy in some places, but it is still a decent watch. Streaming for free on Disney+ Hotstar. 

3. Togo (2019) - This is one of the best movies I have chanced upon this year. I love movies with animal and human bond.Togo ticks all the boxes of an emotional man-animal bond. Based on a true story, Togo is Leonhard Sephala's lead dog, who assists him in getting a serum through severe snow to eradicate an epidemic afflicting children in a village called Nome in Alaska in 1925. The movie of course is timeless in its showcasing a dog's love and determination to stand by it's master. Must watch. Disney+Hotstar.

Jojo Rabbit (2019)

4. Jojo Rabbit (2019) - Nothing much to say more than what has been written about a movie that had been nominated for Oscars last year, except to urge you to watch it if you haven't already. The story of the German boy Jojo who is determined to serve Hitler during WWII, but has to deal with a Jew hiding in his house, is deceptively light hearted and pinches the heart...hard. Disney+ Hotstar. 

Jallikattu (2019)

5. Jallikattu (2019) - I was pleasantly surprised when this movie was selected as our Indian entry to Oscars for 2021. This Malayalam movie is not an easy watch but riveting and thought provoking to say the least. The movie showcases how there is a very thin veneer that separates a civilized society from one which is not. Law and order seems over the top in real life, but after watching the horrific turn of events that take place in a remote village in Kerala, you might not be so sure after all. Who is the bull here really? Watch on Amazon Prime. 

So that's my list of movies watched this year that I really liked. If I have missed any other good one, do drop a comment in the box below. Cheers!

Comments

Priyanthi said…
I have been trying to catch Jojo Rabbit - have heard so many good things about it. Haramkhor is one of the movies I managed to watch as well.
Jerry said…
Yes Priyanthi. You will definitely like it. :)

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those