Skip to main content

Ana's Birthday Update

My absence from my blog has been like a thorn under the skin...a constant niggling reminder to lavish some attention and alleviate the pain of watching it languishing in neglect. The months have fast flown by and unlike my preoccupation with the mundane and the exotic, at least this time I can say that I have been busy working. I am making up for the lethargic first quarter of this year by taking on training assignments and giving my brain some much needed exercise. Ah doesn't that sound so good to my own ears? I am out there doing something that involves working my brain off and my communication skills, getting measured by feedback of happy participants and getting paid by the hour. Quite unlike the happy, messing around with a 3 year old and keeping up with her antics, yes, but a needed diversion :).

The off side of being busy was that I didn't get the time to dwell much on what I wanted to do on Ana kutti's birthday. My contribution was limited to planning an intimate get together with her grandparents and close family. Hosting such an evening is a no-brainer and the evening was spent in a happy collusion of cutting cake and posing with her cousins and flat mates.

But for me the day would have been special if I had had the opportunity to reminisce and record the many small yet beautiful changes that have happened to her over the year. There has been a sudden change in her attitude and in her vocabulary this past year. It has been delightful for us listeners largely, as we just sit about listening to her entertain us.

The recording of such events have happened sporadically over the year as videos, but many have just been experienced and enjoyed. Some I have listed below:

Her mispronounced words were such a delight and many a time we were rolling around laughing

lipscate for lipstick,
eyebrow for eye-drops. She had seen my mother use one and from then on she would mention - this is umma's eyebrow (only, you'll need to bring your gaze down from the said person's face to the object in the little one's hand.)
fidget spinach instead of fidget spinner.
little bittle instead of little bit.
so manys instead of so many
cracklers instead of crackers
miski instead of mixie (mixer grinder)
faily gaju motha instead of fairy god mother, and much much more.

Or her attempts to explain something and if we still didn't understand, she would come close to us and whisper the very same thing in our ear. Adorable.

Papa is fasting mama, she observed of her father who fasts every Tuesday, and then she quickly starts running around the house shouting, Anahita is fasting. (her belief that fasting meant doing something fast).
Coming papa, I'm coming. Anahita wearing shorts is coming. (It was simply adorable to hear her grammatically challenged sentences).

The whole of the latter part of 2017 she used to sing "Labyu Shingali" and jump about energetically. The song in question was "Love you zindagi" from the movie Dear Zindagi. Go figure.

Mumma there is spasky in the cupboard. 
When she said this she was scared, almost in tears. Since I knew all the monsters of her imagination who made life hell for her, I was surprised how this one escaped my attention. After numerous tries, I realized she was talking of "pixies." I had showed her Walt Disney's favourite naughty fairy's video that morning and she went ahead and got scared instead of loving her.

She was quite firm, sometimes even demanding an explanation of any transgression on our part.

Hey anahita playing no? Why off light papa? Why?
Mumma, shall anahita go down and play mumma? (I don't reply as I am supposed to be angry with her). No mumma? (She presses). After drinking paala (milk), after Anahita will go down and play. Okay mumma? Okay mumma? Still no answer from me. Mumma! Mumma say okay mumma.

Once as she was trying to sleep and her toe started scratching, she instructs in her sleep - "Scratch...scrrratch there mumma," and like a good mom I scratch some part of her foot. Very firmly she corrects me - "No, not there...daddy finger" to which I rolled my eyes and moved to the big toe as a good mom would when instructed by her toddler.

In a fit of anger I once pinched her ear. She rubbed her ear and continued what she was doing, chastised. I was surprised that she took the punishment so well, until after a full five minutes she looks up and asks, "Hey mumma. Why you pinch my ear?" To my reply that she was being naughty and so I had pinched her, she firmly tells me,  "This is Anahita's ear. Don't touch."

Of course many times she feels very sorry and hugs my leg (the only place she can reach comfortably) and says, "See, Anahita give you huggy no? Okay mumma?"

Oh these lovely memories that are fast being replaced by new ones, until these remain faint imprints of the time that has passed.
From her last birthday. My little lollipop.

My intention to write this blog post after such a long time had been to preserve these few gems for posterity. What I hadn't bargain for however was getting distracted by her videos and photos from when she was born till now. And that my friends caused another day's delay - a
delay that didn't feel much like that thorn under the skin, but rather like a salve that would erase any discomfort.


Comments

Priyanthi said…
Awww.....how adorable! Such lovely memories for the both of you.
Sarah said…
i just loved this post!!!! It was so adorable to read about Anakutti's antics!!! we still talk about the time she named all the colors and she was barely two! a real cutie pie!!

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those