Skip to main content

The Months That Were


That’s it. The spare time on my hands of the past few months has gone completely. With training starting in full swing after a brief lull, whatever little posting I was doing seems to be in danger of getting done at all. Even without work picking up, the past few months have sped away like hard earned money in a mall. Have you ever felt like you were working away at a mad pace, like the proverbial rat in a wheel, with nothing to show at the end of the day? Yes? I feel for you. Days are speeding past, weekends flash by and the year is already four months old. What have I done? What in the world do I have to show for all the days past?

Let me see. A few useless pictures and postings on FB or vetti Whatsapp chats aside, I have had updated this blog pretty decently. There have been the usual round of weddings and get togethers to hobnob with near and dear one though that does take some energy you know. It is not all that easy to smile and act nice under a heavy silk saree with a 13 kg toddler perched sulkily on your arm. Why is my dove sulky you ask? It totally beats me…I mean shouldn’t she be happy dressed to the nines in non-breathable prickly clothes with her unruly, curly hair controlled in eleven clips, and in sparkly, toe pinching sandals with absolutely no one her age to play with or even a play area to run off her latent energy? Ungrateful girl. I certainly will have to try and open her up to some real experiences.

So leave looking hot or fashionable in my beautiful silk saree and designer wear, it will have been a great achievement if I had managed to look presentable at all! What would make a wedding memorable would be to have a play area or a nanny service for the kids who come along. Imagine the way things would play out – all of us harassed parents would devout our undivided attention to the bride’s 24 carat 2 kg necklace which dutifully pulls her head down with its sheer weight, giving her a nice demure look or drool over her 2 lakh rupees saree which we hope will not be made into curtains after 10 years when she relocates to the US of A,  or indulge in a bit of juicy comparison of the two patsies tying the knot to figure out who is luckier. What a relief that would be. I say, leave the return gifts and the welcome drinks, please give my kid a diversion while I partake in such ordinary pursuits of which I was unaware of when I was single and which I have hardly had the satisfaction of enjoying before Ana kutti dropped in my lap. I do promise to leave a good moi behind.

Well, such life altering lessons in wedding attendance apart, I have of course dutifully increased my calorie count and hence my overall weight these few months because how else can it be? The moment my brain gets a whiff of a wedding  around the corner, the buzz word thrumming through my body is the antithesis of diet and weight loss….eat well, stock up, eat well, stock up… I simply couldn’t not add calories to the already burgeoning self. That would be so regular, right? So I went out a bit and sampled some lip smacking fare in the bargain.

Yummilicious Stroganoff at Writer's Cafe

Pizza at Writer's Cafe

The Super yummy Chicken Pot pie - Waffles Thru The Day

Wapple at Waffles thru the Day

Not an ounce of regret there, as I managed to walk about with my tummy sucked in and managed to look presentable. Ana kutti perched on my arm covered most of the truant love handles from showing and the resulting lack of oxygen because of holding my breath in has helped show my cheekbones in relief. Not all bad that I looked like this pretty much...


well...what do you suppose?


…but a wild guinea fowl look is not a bad image to try pull off sometime.

Anyway the best thing to have happened in the past few months is to have found some joy in baking. I have mixed and folded quite a bit of sweet, tasty batter to produce some good tea cakes and cupcakes. 



And I have been spreading the joy around…giving generous portions to family and friends alike. 

S's birthday cake

It seems to be the right thing to do as I have now found a way to circumvent my craving for simple, dense cakes and the subsequent weight gain – simply share. Plus the copious sweating I have gone through while making these delicious cakes have helped take away that niggling 500 gms from my stomach. Baking must be one of the most under hyped activity for weight loss. I need to spread the word around. Baking helps weight loss.

A yummy Valentine treat
How has your year been till now? If you have been floundering about like a poor duckling without her mother, then do remember you will grow into that beautiful swan...only just don't complain of a having a heavy ermm...bottom. You can't have it all, you know. If it is all too much to take, remember there is CAKE. :)

Comments

Sriram P B said…
It was a fun read. It's a nice write to show how life rolls along and how it should be dealt with. ��
Priyanthi said…
Went and tried out the stroganoff at Writer's Cafe.....yumminess :)

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those