Skip to main content

Books I Read in 2017

I had a tough time choosing a title for this post, as everything short and interesting seemed to suggest a list of books of 2017 that I had read. Though this title is unassuming, the books that are listed here are not.

2017 was a great year in books for me, especially due to the Goodreads Reading Challenge. The Challenge gave me a sense of direction and discipline in choosing and reading the books for the year. I completed my target of 22 books, which I sneakily brought down from 24 when I realised I wouldn’t be able to complete on time, only to overshoot the target by exactly 2 books. Here are a few recommendations for interested souls :D


Of the books I had read in 2017, the stand outs were:
  1. Room - Emma Donoghue
  2. Wild - Cheryl Strayed
  3. Anne of Green Gables - L M Montgomery
  4. Rules of Civility - Amor Towles
  5. A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Backman
  6. Our Souls At Night - Kent Haruf
  7. A Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood

Some books inspire, some books make us aspire, some books move us and some books may have all of the former. Every one of the books I have listed above has inspired me to either write or read more. These books all have such good language and style; they were all un-put-downable. Artfully written were Rules of Civility, Anne of Green Gables and A Handmaid’s Tale. Reading each of these books felt like a lesson in writing fiction. I loved the flair and the style of writing. Story wise, Room, Wild, A Man Called Ove and Our Souls at Night tugged at my heartstrings. But most importantly, this year will always be counted as the year I completed A Handmaid's Tale. Initially I ploughed through the book, though the writing was superb. By and by I got caught up in the story, and then I just couldn't put it down.

 















The ones below were good time pass and made for an interesting and sometimes riveting read. The books however were casual and adventurous except for perhaps Night Circus and The Ocean at the end of the lane which were very different from what I have generally read. A Case of Exploding Mangoes was a really good book by Pakistani writer Mohammad Hanif. Another book that truly made a mark was part of the Inheritance series. The story line was unusual and it took some getting used to. Now after having read Book #2 of the same series, I can’t wait to get my hands on the final book of the series.Crazy Rich Asians played out like a good Barbara Bradford meets Lauren Weisberger - an indulgence considering the kind of books listed here.


Pick up one of these books for a good read. You shall not regret.
  1. Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Book #1 of The Inheritance Series)
  2. Broken Kingdoms (Bookd #2 of Inheritence
  3. Dark Places - Gillian Flyn
  4. The Song of Achilies - Madeline Miller
  5. The Ocean At the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman
  6. Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
  7. A Case of Exploding Mangoes - Mohammad Hanif
  8. Crazy Rich Asians - Kevin Kwan
  9. Veerapan: Chasing the Brigand - Vijay Kumar

Award books and seemingly important reads left me slightly ungratified. Whether it was 2014 Man Booker Prize winner, The Narrow Road to Deep North or Washington Post’s 2012 Book of the Year, Flight Behaviour, I didn’t feel much connect. Perhaps I needed to come of age to appreciate the reason why they feature in the Awards list or perhaps those kind of books with their picky language and rambling prose is difficult for me to decode when my mind is on a hundred different things. Flight Behaviour dealt with climate change and has in it the story of a woman who has to make some hard decisions. What I liked about the book was the juxtapositioning of a rural life with that of the city. I realised that we Indians pretty much seem to live the rural life...and I say that in a good way.

There have been a few other books too, you may have noticed, of which Padma Lakshmi’s Love, Loss and What We Ate - A Memoir, was super disappointing. So too was Longbourn by Jo Baker. It was insipid and rather sketchy and is quite unfairly compared to Jane Austen.

So how has your reading been in 2017? Do share.

Looking forward to a book-filled 2018. Happy New Year folks!

Comments

Priyanthi said…
I love book roundups!!! So much fun figuring out what I have also read (almost all, seeing that we keep exchanging books all the time), and if my thoughts match with yours.....mostly. Can't wait to start off the new year with many more.
Jerina J said…
And the irony is that we still haven't done our exchange for this year :-D Have had a gold run this year with the ones I had picked up from the library. Shall write a post on that soon.

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those