Skip to main content

Season's Greetings!

Ho ho ho! Seasons greetings to everyone!

What can I say? This is my favourite month of the year and it has delivered well this time too. Pretty ironic that is, considering I don't celebrate Christmas. The Western culture has permeated our simple Indian mindsets so much, one can't turn left or right without a red star hanging in front of our face or a skinny, plastic masked Santa prancing about in ill fitting clothes. But all is well and jolly because it is Christmas.




The timing of this festival is so perfect, coinciding with New Year which incidentally the whole world celebrates with gusto. I can't see as much enthusiasm growing for our very own Tamil or Telugu New Year or the local ones in the country. They pass by in a blur of new clothes and home made treats. There is no count down say on 13th April to welcome the Tamil New Year nor is there a host of bank breaking activities planned for the Tamil New Year's eve.

I have said this before too, I think the magic of this month lies in the cool winter climes Chennai experiences after the rains and before the dreaded summer. It is special as for once we walk around in sweaters with ear muffs and mufflers to protect us against the 21 degree chill (ahem, yeah yeah our A/cs are stuck at 19 degrees mostly but hey it is mostly summer here). We are happy drawing huge kolams and eating hot bajjis and pakodas in our very own city than book a ticket and run off to the nearest hill station like we always do. The margazhi music festival, one of the much-loved event of this time, adds a certain festivity to the already cheerful season. And this time our NRI friends sent picture postcard photos of snow clad streets and trees and of them making and playing with snow balls and we felt like we have lived vicariously.

Food wise, this season has much to offer for the happy non-vegetarian or the sweet toothed. There is of course the quintessential roast turkey in sauce, chicken and mutton dishes galore, bakes and tarts and pies to warm us up and the sweet and spicy plum cake to be sampled with custard and ice cream. Yummy! This year I was happy to start a tradition with dear friends Cherie and Mavis, in baking plum cakes. Not only were the cakes sinful to look at and taste, but while baking them we spent an entire day soaking in the aroma of the cakes, swaying and dancing to Christmas songs, and gorging on 1kg Biriyani Shop (yummilicious). Ana kutti was happy in the presence of all us grown ups as long as she was allowed to lick a bit of the cake mixture left in the basin. Here's to more such beautiful moments to capture the season.


With my training commitments having got completed before Christmas, I was at the liberty to relax and contemplate on the year that was just going to leave us. I am glad I got the time to do that as it helps me resolve myself to things that I have been wanting to do and let go of those that I will never do. When I wrote this post I did feel a bit down and morose, but as with the case of everything in life, with every ebb there is a crest and I reaped the fruits in the following months. I appreciated the happy moments that followed simply because I understood what the moody ones could do to me.

We will be capping the month with a nice, quiet New Year's eve with close friends, the very same who have grown to be my extended family. Wishing you all a very happy New Year and I pray that the year ahead is full of beautiful moments that will turn to cherished memories. Create some, start with 31st. 

Comments

Priyanthi said…
Nice summary of the season all of us love!
Jerina J said…
And are a part of! Here's to many such seasons :)
Sriram P B said…
Ah! Christmas! What can one say.A season associated with fun, frolic, gaiety & holidays. Which ever part of the world and which ever religion one belongs to, it's a time of love and happiness. 🥧🍷🍾🌲🎅

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those