Skip to main content

Festivals That Cater to a Food Lover

With Christmas last year, we have come to the end of a delectable line of festivals that come in the latter part of the year. I associate festivals with food, the making and serving of it and the indulging of the various delicacies that is synonymous with these celebrations. It’s easy to live this dream in a multi cultural, multi ethnic country like ours. There are so many festivals to celebrate; so many excuses to eat...unapologetic-ally if you please.  

For Eid ul Fitr or for Ramzan, I get asked if I would invite people over for mutton biriyani; I remember asking my Hindu friends for kozhukattais during Vinayaka Chatturthi and sweet pongal for Pongal; I have forgotten the number of times I have asked my mother to make her trade mark paruppu payasam for Onam. You see, it had to be prepared during the said festivals, even in a non-participating household or else it never really got made.  

A small Onasadhya, with my favourite dal payasam

I credit my dad for this impartial adoption of various festivals in our household, thereby instilling in me a sense of tolerance to all religions and cultures. He never shied away from buying crackers for Diwali for us or from asking mum to prepare a simple Onam spread. And since we had spent a joyous part of our childhood in a flat which housed Marathis, Sindhis, Brahmins, Muslims, Malayalees, a mouth watering array of cultural and religious fare passed into our home, sometimes into mummy’s recipe book. And in addition to getting exposed to S’s Andhra customs and food, I listened in fascination the chatter of the many ardent, yet circumspect forty something homemakers who made time from the bustling household chores to squeeze in an hour of yoga. Here too the class was an eclectic mix of Gujaratis, Sindhis, Tamilians – all Hindus and an odd Muslim or Christian too. If I thought an average Indian would celebrate Ganesh Chathurthi, Diwali, Ayudha Pooja, Krishna Jayanthi, Eid, Christmas etc with fervour then what these women were talking about – Holi, Karva Chauth, Mahavir Jayanthi, Bhai Dheej etc., seemed to be equally important. And with talk of festivals, there was always a quick discussion on what was cooking in their kitchens. If only calories could be burned by mere thought of mouth watering food.


This past, I noticed that we had been on a culinary run since September. It started off with Ganesh Chathurti, then Bakrid or Eid ul Adha, Onam, Navaratri, Diwali ending with the very festive Christmas; maybe more, but these festivals falling between months August and December are more celebratory and integrate food.

All that a thali can hold - South Indian menu sample


 I fervently awaited Ganesh Chaturthi, as it presented a chance to savour the smooth, almost translucent, sometimes even white, super soft sweet kozhukattai or rice dumplings. Not only did I enjoy making some at home, but I also got to taste a few from other households. Each homemaker has his/her recipe that they swear by and though there can’t be much going wrong with a steamed dumpling having a coconut, jaggery filling, I assure you there is quite a trick to get them soft and light. In addition to the sweet variety there is of course the kara kozhukattai, pidi kozhukattai, tangy tamarind rice, fresh chickpea sundal and a vada-payasam to feast on. After this quintessential vegetarian fare, came the opportunity to cook non-vegetarian meal for Bakrid.

Mutton biriyani and meat cutlets - Bakrid

Bakrid or Id-ul-Adha has its own foodravaganza and like other households, ours too had that quintessential biriyani that made its way to our hungry, drooling mouths. Mum combined it with a preparation of meat cutlets, semiya payasam, raita, mint chutney and pappads. This was definitely made for lunch on Bakrid and Ramzan. Our feasting started from breakfast itself, which is laid after the men returned from the special prayers in the mosque. I had to deliver sweets to neighbours’ houses before I could sit down to relish the king’s breakfast spread – idiyappams or appams with special coconut based egg curry, mummy’s caramel cake, murukkus or thattai’s that she had prepared for the occasion. The menu was an amalgamation of mummy's food experiences of all the places she stayed at  - Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. I don’t know how we found the place in our stomachs to gorge on the equally expansive lunch spread afterwards.

I look forward to the pomp and splendour of Deepavali as much as I look forward to the sweets and savouries that get made and shared. The array of sweetmeat is delicious – polis, groundnut/puffed rice chikkis or laddoos, rava laddoos (my absolute favourites), besan laddoos, kaju katli, thayir murukku (an Andhra speciality), adhirasams (my ultimate favourite!), and a variety of other murukkus and laddoos. It’s mindboggling really. An average household starts preparations a week in advance so that the snacks and sweets are ready for the big day. The busy homemaker has to have her wits about herself if she has to make a solid idli, vada, sambhar breakfast and follow it up with an elai sapadu. I don’t envy the poor lady even one bit.

When it is December and Christmas dawns, it is like the time for everyone to celebrate. Somehow, because of its proximity to the New Year, the world at large feels like celebrating Christmas. The wine and the plum cakes start coming in a few days before Christmas, and if you have a gracious Christian friend, like I do, who throws a mean Christmas lunch, then there’s nothing more to ask in the festive season. There are of course insane number of advertisements showcasing Christmas lunch, read turkey based lunch menu; it takes iron will not to follow your imagination to the nearest hotel or restaurant that serves the delectable fare. Roast turkey with dark sauce is the highlight of the festival for me. The juicy, succulent turkey replete with the sticky, sour sauce completes my food cravings of the year on a high note. Along with the redolent with spices plum cake, which S is such a big fan of, a serving of any good English pastry or dessert marks the festival for me. I have a mean sweet tooth which I am trying hard to keep in check, but come Christmas and it becomes difficult to turn a blind eye to the array of rolls, éclairs, cupcakes and like. And even though these are available throughout the year, there is something rather quaint about sinking one’s tooth into these delicacies when there is a nip in the air.

Though writing this blog has helped channel that nostalgia to some extent, I am fervently wishing away the dry months of February and March to roll slowly into the next welcoming cycle of festivals that bring to forte along with divinity and religious fervour - sweets and savouries and simple and rich fare for the believers...of good food.

Comments

Anita said…
Another mouth watering post! Thank god we have the dry months to lose all the festival weight.
Sriram P B said…
A rare man your dad wasist say. There are very few people who are so open minded to celebrate all festivals belonging to all religions.

One tends to get hungry reading this blog. Lol
Priyanthi said…
I can personally vouch for the drool inducing biryani and cutlets during Ramzan.....I look forward to it every year
Jerina J said…
Thanks for the comments.

@Unknown - I like your blog. Thanks for sharing the link. :)

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those