Skip to main content

Books That Kept Me Going Ga-Ga in 2016


2017 is underway and I am in a jolly land of books. I can sincerely say that books make me feel the way I do when S and Ana kutti are around – make my heart beat faster, in case you were wondering. I love the whole idea of meticulously reading book reviews and coming up with a list of books that I’d like to read or own, and then the wait to hold them in my hands and if it is a new book then to smell the pages and admire the covers and the fonts, and then to actually sit and read them. The last part has become pretty challenging with Ana kutti zooming around seeking attention. But my nights are for my books...at least that minuscule time frame I have between checking social media and almost dropping off to sleep. When you have an active, naughty 20 month old, you’ll be surprised how innovative you get to find ways to do things you like. That’s another post anyway.



2016 was a good year considering I surprised myself by reading quite a few books and enjoying many. In order to not make this a long post, I have written a small review of the books I liked. In no particular order:

The RosieProject: I am writing a separate blog post for this book and that should say something about how I felt about it, I hope J




These two books have been written on the Second World War. Coming from an era that has really not seen a war of this proportion, and having studied in schools where the syllabus didn’t dive deep into world history, I have constantly tried to read up on books that give an inkling about the struggles and horror that people went through at that time. These two books are exceptional in relaying a feel of the people during/after the war.



The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by American authors Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows is written in true English style as it conveys the story of people living in Guernsey, in the Channel Islands, England.  The story starts on a charming tone that slowly turns to a sobering one and then lifts into a positive one. The language is mellifluous and the humour is so English. 

Many times I have felt that only the English could lay bare such sober and heart rending sentiments in such a light manner, as is seen in the conversation of the principal characters in the book. There is no escaping the effects of the war throughout the book, which play out in the form of letters (oh that forgotten art) to various characters in the book. I laughed and smiled and felt connected to the characters as they recount their side of the story of how the book club was born and I sobered up pretty soon as the dark face of the war is revealed by them through the same letters. Was a definite must read.



The Book Thief, is different in tone from the former book. It has no cheerfulness at all; the little humour that does shine through actually pinches the heart with its overtones of impending doom. The story is narrated by the greatest leveller of humanity, Death. He or it tells a surprisingly sensitive story, not really how one would expect Death to be. He is busy throughout the war and amongst the gory, bloody, grey background of the war he finds a narrative to share. The Book Thief is brilliant and is rightfully featured in innumerable versions of the books to read in your lifetime lists.


There are so many quotes and statements that have touched me, but what truly leaves a mark is the last line of the book. It is so befitting what transpires in the life of the protagonist Liesel Memimger. Here it is below.



The book is peppered with such quotable quotes and though initially I did feel the writing was simple, probably because it was intended for a young adult audience, the feel and the way the story played out really pulled me in. This book made me realise how in the pre-media days people had time to just think and contemplate stuff. Not much is spoken between characters, perhaps words are not even needed when so much could be said through silences and expressions. This is an irony in the book and is brought out so beautifully through out the book. Oh! And please do have a hanky near by. 



 This was an un-putdown-able book for me. If you like a story that touches your heart and stories set during the World War then do pick it up right now, if you already haven’t.




This book comes from the Tharoor family stables. Written by Kanishk Tharoor, this book sparkled in prose and style. More than once I found myself writing down a phrase or a word so that I could ponder about it later. What was a small let down for me, not that I can blame it on the writer, was the rather sober, matter-of-fact endings of the chapters. Maybe if I revisited this book later on in life, I might be more appreciative of it. It still figures in my list of books that is good. Do tell me if it worked for you.



This book has now been made into a movie and you must’ve even watched it by now. I heard that it hadn’t done very well at the box office. But that’s completely opposite when it comes to the book. The book has been a super duper hit. The story starts slow with a wretched, despairing, down in the dumps protagonist who is trying to pick up the pieces of her life after the loss of her marriage. On the verge of becoming an alcoholic, she finds a thrilling case that helps to get back her identity and reason to live. It’s a nice, easy read and the pages just keep turning as you try to keep abreast of the story. The first half is a bit slow, but I think it was necessary to set the story and to make the readers buy in on how wretched the protagonist is. The second half picks up speed and has a superb twist to it. Suspense at its best!




So what are the books that have made your year last year? What are you reading now? Please suggest some good ones based on what I have written above. The next best thing after reading a book is to dissect it a bit with similar book crazies. J happy reading!

Comments

Priyanthi said…
Loved the write up. Looking forward to sharing many more books with you this year.
Jerina J said…
:D I'm so glad I have a dear friend who reads so voraciously. Lucky me! Here's to a bookalicious year!

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those