Skip to main content

Of Christmas Cheer and Tears




We are at the fag end of the year. The Christmas plum cake with its rich, fruity taste and texture has been savoured and toasts have been made for the New Year too, which of course still a few days off. There is something magical in this month. I love this month and after much deliberation I concluded that it was mostly because of the prevailing climate. After a harsh summer and chaotic rains, Chennai settles down to a cool, tender climate which begs the pulling out of moth eaten sweaters that smell of naphthalene balls (not always a bad thing), the crisp, beautiful silks and the thick woollen tops which are generally reserved for travels abroad or to cooler climes. The cool air is redolent with smell of cinnamon and chai and of hot crispy vadas and filter coffee (which of course is a staple the whole year too). In other words, it is the closest we come to sharing the white, snowy, cold Christmas setting that prevails over the parts of the world where it is celebrated.



In Chennai, we also know this month for the Margazhi events and line ups. The month of Margazhi is special for Hindus here – for its spiritual significance and aesthetic insinuation. This month the sun’s gravity on Earth is at its highest, in other words, having the effect of pulling the human system to its base. Margazhi according to the Sadhguru, is the time to bring stability and balance to the system. Having been brought up in the Brahmin dotted neighbourhood of Mylapore, I have had the pleasure of watching households waking up early in the morning, cleansing their home front with cow dung mixed water and drawing elaborate kolams or rangoli. I found that all fascinating. My friends seemed to go from one kutcheri to another in their tightly bound, jasmine adorned hair and silk pavadai chattai. All grown up now and having attended a few kutcheris myself and having had the good fortune of dipping my toe in the mysterious world of ragas and classical dances, I understand the magic that envelopes Chennai around this time. A part of me craves these events that ground me and expose my senses to the finer tastes and aesthetics of life. The aroma from the mess of the sabha we go to is another reason, but I shall not dwell too much in this post about it.



With such joy and servitude abounding this season, it is quite easy to forget the troubles that have assailed us the previous year and this year. With Chennai flooding like never before in 2015 and with it taking up life and property of a largely placid population, margazhi, Christmas and the New Year were just markings on the calendar. This year too, with demonetization and the violent cyclone Vardah playing havoc to day to day existence, one can be forgiven for not cheering up. Worse for me has been news of the plight of the people in Syria – so many people displaced, so many children who have lost their childhood – it’s gut wrenching. It does make one realise that we are mere mortals, just numbers waiting to be struck out by fate...our time in this world borrowed. It is very humbling.


In all this there has been cheer of some sort – the moments that bring focus to the things that keep us grounded in reality, the moments that make us give up the tears and the hopelessness for its sake, those that teach us to brush off the disappointments and frustrations and look up to each day that is presented to us because one must keep going on. That is the only thing that is a constant. For everyone. For every one.



And as the new year dawns on us, my prayer to the Almighty is to shower his abundance on all my near and dear ones, to forgive us our complacency and presumptuous existence and to give each of us the strength to believe and plough on when times are tough, because we simply have to.


Happy New Year you’all!

Comments

Sriram P B said…
And so goes on life......
Priyanthi said…
What a well written post, my darling girl. A very Happy New Year to you. I hope the year ahead is one of better understanding among people that we are all here on borrowed time - why not make it easier for each other.
Jerina J said…
Thanks Priyanthi. And you put it so well too. :)

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those