Skip to main content

Al Maza Restaurant - Maza aa gaya

One could probably stumble over Al Maza restaurant on a chance browsing of Zomato for restaurants in Anna Nagar (E) to satisfy a weekend high calorie crave or while walking through or driving through the shady roads of the quiet colony where it resides and even then would find it difficult to complete their intention as the entry to the restaurant is very ambiguous. Not until recently, when the husband made a visit to pick up a large order, did he demystify it for me. The restaurant sits on the first floor of a building and the entrance is from the side through a flight of steps. Ok, go ahead and judge me, but wait till you find yourself there and cast about for those very stairs.

Since Ana's entry into our lives, we have really not gone out to eat much and that meant missing out on a lot of good places to eat...I mean it, a lot of restaurants that would otherwise had been ticked off with serious diligence have gone unnoticed. And before you ask? We find it comfortable and easier to dine in than to go out with a baby, a pram and a diaper bag in tow. Not to mention, to not having to deal with said baby's temperament in public and relieving fellow diners from the said baby's temperament. Ermm...so, Al Maza restaurant didn't need this kind of introduction. But since I write such few blog posts, I do tend to ramble a bit in the ones I am writing.

Okay, getting back to point. The first time we ordered from home after a quick glance at Zomato, I went for their Mughlai dishes. Even now, after ordering a few times now, I would still go for their MNA (Mughlai, North Indian and Arabic items). I have never ordered from their Chinese menu. I am generally quite wary of multi cuisine restaurants especially ones with this level of disparity in their cuisines, but this restaurant delivered on their orders and how.

These days to review a restaurant I tell myself to visit the place a few times at least, given the barrage of reviews being put up in sites like Zomato or Trip Advisor and that too after just one meal. It is quite unfair to the restaurant or hotel to be reviewed on just a single visit. First impressions are good, yes, but there is no harm in giving someone another chance.

No such problem with Al-Maza anyway. We started on a lovely note and just like in a love story you know that the particular boy/girl was going to be bound for life, I knew from the first bite of their succulent, juicy, punch in the gut Sole Kabab, that mine was going to be a love story too. There is a certain seriousness to their cooking, which is so difficult to come by in restaurants these days. Al Maza's strength lies in its back to the roots cooking. I have tasted about three of their kababs to date and I can say very clearly that the marinade or the taste itself is unique to each.

There is a general expectation from regular kababs served in Tandoori joints. Chicken tandoori, tikka, kali mirch etc tend to have a tangy, spicy taste and the malai tikkas and afghani murg tikkas generally have more subtle flavors. But here, in addition to the tangy, spicy taste of the Shole kabab which was charcoal grilled chicken pieces having a spicy marinade, there was such depth of flavor that I couldn't quite decipher. There was a definite feeling of tasting something different from the usual tikka. Other tikkas that I have eaten and loved are: Kaali Mirch tikka, that had a strong pepper flavour but was tasty, Al Maza's special chicken 65, which was simply out of the world; it is not like any Chicken 65 I have tried. I am yet to foray into their lamb and fish kebabs, but the wait I know is going to be worth it.

The gravies that support the meal and these specialty kababs were not of less repute either. Whether it was the tangy Sabsi kada masala or the spicy, flavourful Veg Jalfrezy, suffice it to say that they held their own in the battle of the senses. The gravy in both cases were thick, creamy and packed with flavors and were good accompaniment to the array of Indian breads in the menu. But the item which really prompted me to write this blog, is their Mutton Biriyani. Purely on the strength of their earlier orders, I confidently ordered a kilogram of biriyani for a Sunday lunch and  I was not disappointed. The rice grains were separate, the spice and the masalas were well entrenched in the  meat as well in the rice; and the thing that stood out for me about it was that it was just this side of tear inducing spicy. Just a teeny, tiny bit...just enough to stand apart from the rest of biriyanis...just enough to get me to sit and type out this blog post.

Al Maza, is a true value for money with a Rs. 850+ for two for a sumptuous, tasty meal. Their friendly, keen staff and attentive management are a bonus to the whole eating experience. If you haven't been there already, I would suggest a quick weekend lunch or dinner. Immerse yourself in a spread that is reminiscent of the intricacies of Mughal cooking.

Comments

Sriram P B said…
This is a good place even for a part time non vegetarian. Yup, it deserves multiple visits . My favorite is of course north western frontier food. Yummm indeed !😊

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those