Skip to main content

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. Dark Moods.

Reading is something that I still make the time for. The other vices would be watching movies, listening to music and writing something. All three have been rather hit after Ana babush’s arrival. While I was pregnant with her, I had difficulty reading even a mild thriller. I don’t know…it had something to do with the bile rising up, threatening to bring with it my breakfast or lunch and I also had an overwhelming desire to hold on tight to the little one growing in my womb. So I got into mild reading – Chicken Soup for the soul for new moms (a gift from a group of well-meaning friends), Mills and Boon, random books and articles on pregnancy and child birth, Susan Elizabeth’s book/s which I can read and re-read a million times. I tried and failed to read Herman Melville’s Moby Dick and also Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale, but I hope to pick up both in the near future.

Anyway, after a long time as I browsed in Madras Gymkhana’s Library, I happened on Gillian Flynn’s Dark Places and I picked it up without a second thought. I had liked the dark, revenge-drama of Gone Girl and I knew at least she could weave a good thriller.




I wish I could write that I hated Dark Places. But I wouldn’t be truthful to that part of a dark place in my heart which I did not know even existed, if I said that.  Why else would I have read the entire book with my stomach twisting in knots and in some places getting utterly bewildered by the mechanisms of a dark mind, but still finishing the book as if my life were depended on it? When you decide to read this book, (yes, I said ‘when’ and not ‘if’, because you should read this book), do so with the knowledge that human beings are weak and are capable of unthinkable horrors. Maybe you know that already, but believe me, the truth will still hit home. And if you are a pregnant to-be mommy – stop right there. You can read this book, perhaps, in the very distant future. All this might lead one to believe that I did not like the book. Oh, but I did. Very much. And I don’t seem to know what to make of the fact that I liked the book.

A quote from the book - Dark Places

Anyway, Gillian Flynn is at her best again, conveying the dark moods and the bleak lives of the people of Kinnakee (a fictional town), Kansas. The book is dark, morbid and chilling in some places, and it will grip you to the very last page. Every character in the book has been etched out in great detail, especially the lead characters – Libby Day, her mother, Patty Day and her brother Ben Day. I think it is an art to be able to trace people’s strength and weakness and their dark thoughts in such detail and with such clarity. That’s why the book is so riveting perhaps.


The chapters move between present day Libby’s life and to that particular day in her life when her entire family was murdered by, she believes or is led to believe, her brother Ben Day. She is seven years old at that time and manages to escape the murderer, but the person who is left behind in her body is best described in her own words in the very first line of the book – “I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at the belly and it may slide out, meaty and dark…” 



Whew. You are hooked in right there. The rest of the story traces her journey to find the truth about what happened on that fateful night in 1985. The big reveal in the end was actually a paisa vasool moment for me and though I did have inkling about the murderer, I must say I was surprised at the end.


A definite read.

Comments

Sriram P B said…
I seriously think you should review books on a regular basis. At least short reviews. It would help many a reader.
Priyanthi said…
Your review gave me the creeps - can't wait to get my hands on this.
Jerina J said…
Thanks Sriram...this is one suggestion I shall take seriously...well, among other brilliant ones you give me :-D

Priyanthi...I like that. "...gave me the creeps - can't wait to get my hands..." How true for this book.

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those