Skip to main content

Of Restaurants, Food and Service

Did the chicken come first or the egg? Similar existential questions were asked in our Food Service Management class back in college. Will you patronize a restaurant regularly, because the food is good or because the service is good? There was always a possibility of a good debate when this question was thrown to us. Since we were in college and since budgets were virtually non-existent, our arguments had to be largely based on our experience of the college canteen food or of one of the affordable eateries dotting the road. It’s anyone’s guess that these places are notorious for repeat visits mainly due to lack of other options better suited to the pocket and…let’s face it… the rather unique experience. In other words, the ambiance and the ‘superlative’ service we were accorded.  

I can’t forget the number of times we have sat in the sweltering heat of our college canteen, sharing one Pepsi and soggy bhelpuri among half a dozen of us. Our taste buds had not yet progressed from identifying sweet, sour and salty to the many nuances that assault them these days. The food was not saliva inducing. So repeated visits were not really because the food was good. It did not matter that the ‘anna’ at the counter did not even meet your eyes. So much for ’service’. The ‘ambiance’ was rusty, iron chairs and rickety tables over which we had animated conversation. That’s all. So, frankly, it was very difficult to be objective about such questions. 

In subsequent years though I have progressed from budget areas to places where they there was better reception to my ego and stomach, I was too preoccupied with discovering varied tastes than to ponder over the question posed in college…until recently. My view now is that we visit restaurants because of their food and not merely for the service. IF the service was superlative and food poor, my guess it that the restaurant would still lose its clientele. The opposite is also the true: the food being very good, but being served by condescending, callous or rude waiters.

But when the food is average and the service is great, believe me it motivates people to er...write about it. Like I have done here. The last restaurant reviewed is why this blog post exists. That subtle difference for me pushes the argument towards service. 

In order of my preference:
1.      Ox and Tomato:
From the time I saw their brightly lit name board ‘Ox and Tomato’ in a fun font with a very appealing tomato sitting jauntily on top of the words, I was hooked. This tiny restaurant on Harrington road, had a somewhat cozy feel in spite of the no-nonsense wooden tables and grey steel chairs placed to achieve a cover of 30. The first time we went, I would have lost my heart if it was already not in S’s possession (argh corny, I know). But all was not smooth that evening I must say. There was a get-together of some a few young parents and their (forgive me for saying this) banshee children. One was screaming and running around (‘around’ is stretching it a bit since there was no place at all), another was on the floor and throwing some sort of a tantrum, one had hit his head on the table and was bawling his head off and the parents were probably catching up so they turned a deaf ear and probably a blind eye to the scene around them. We considered leaving the restaurant then, but the owner (I think) appeared at my elbow and apologized for the din. She promised they were soon leaving and much to all our relief they left.

To keep our mind off this din, we had studied the rather small menu studiously and had ordered a Caeser salad, Chicken lasagna and a pizza. This came on cue, and to say that I was blown away from the word go, is an understatement. The salad was not drowned in dressing and didn’t have imposters like carrots or red cabbage in it, as is seen in some ‘multi’-cuisine restaurants. The lettuce was crunchy and the salad dressing, light. Then came the next surprise. My earlier indulgence of lasagna has been of a gooey tomato concoction with delectable, melted cheese on top. This one had thin lasagna sheets crammed with chicken and with very little tomato sauce in between. There was hardly any cheese to be seen. Took a bite and it felt like I had been transported to Italy. The sauce on the sheets is tangy and flavourful, the minced chicken melts in the mouth along with the lasagna sheets. And now I can’t seem to enjoy any other type of lasagna. S was not so lucky with his pizza; though the topping was good he found the pizza to be hard about the edges. I thought it was fine, but he was hoping for a softer crust. We avoided the dessert even though they had impressive ones from Sandys next door.

Incidentally my near gastrorgasmic experience guaranteed a second visit and then a third visit to the place. In others words, we have become repeat customers. We were touched by the owner’s concern and had liked the impersonal but efficient service of the staff. But subsequent visits have been because of the food. 

Their menu is fairly simple. There are a few pizza, wrap and sandwich options along with a competent pasta menu. The starters, salads and desserts give good support to the simple menu. I wish it remains this way for the time being at least.

I love their: Caeser salad, Chicken lasagna, chicken shawarma, fish and chips, and almost all their desserts.

I would rank their:

Food - ****1/2
Ambience - ***1/2 (the chairs can be a bit uncomfortable)
Service - **** (efficient)
Budget - ***1/2 (not really pocket friendly, though I didn’t mind shelling out for some good Italian)

Final verdict: Don’t go. Yeah. You heard me right. Don’t go. So that this would continue to be my secret, but that would of course defeat the purpose of this post. Sigh...Go, go, go.

Parfait 3:
If Ox and Tomato is jaunty and authentic, Parfait 3 is un-apologetically unauthentic…about at least some of their items. And they trump at the consistency with which they dish out these lip smacking fares. I must have visited this small joint on Manickeswari Road, Kilpauk about ten times now and I am nowhere near ordering half the dishes on their menu. If Ox and Tomato had a small, controlled menu, Parfait 3 had four pages (or so) worth of it. In addition to the usual fare of soups, sandwiches, burgers, pizzas, salads all of which have not more than 3 veg or non-veg options, the main course boasted of sizzlers, steaks, pastas, Chinese and Indian. Whew. Except to try the fish and chips because S likes it, I never make it to the main courses. I find myself ordering and re-ordering their burgers and sandwiches. In other words, I feel as if I have been transported to my college days, where sandwiches and burgers were filling meals available for a budget.

Their burger patties have the amazing taste of freshly ground black pepper and the sandwiches are just the right side of cheesy. The whole affair is messy and satisfying. The vegetable pizzas tasted good, but I wasn’t so happy with the non-vegetarian topping of the one pizza I tried. The chicken was dry, as if it was roasted too much. Their fish and chips is crisp and not too oily. S was a big fan of this, until he tasted this in Ox and Tomato and now he has distinguished the imposter from the real one. But I still think, the Parfait 3 one is quite good and should not be compared with the connoisseur.


This place is light on the pocket and as one of their waiters had told me once, “Ma’am bring sir around whenever you don’t feel like preparing dinner.” Since that doesn't happen pretty often in my house, I couldn't follow his advice.  That brings me to the service to expect here. This man, Lincoln, made our visits interesting and personal earlier. Suggesting things, being attentive and knowledgeable about the menu and ensuring that we had a good dining experience. I didn't know that he had left that place, until I saw him at Moti Mahal Delux in Nungambakkam and I immediately felt the restaurant had gained a good maître’ d. I didn't come across such service in their new property which is two buildings down the same road, but at least like Ox and Tomato, Parfait 3 is efficient. And recently, when we were asked by the owner, of how the food was and were suggested their Indian version of alfredo pasta, I grudgingly approved of their ‘personal’ service.

What I’d recommend: Chicken burgers, chicken and mushroom cream soup, the Fat One sandwich, Indian chicken sandwich, vegetable pizza, fish and chips and their chicken alfredo pasta (a delightful indianised version). In other words, almost everything I have eaten there.

I would rank their:

Food - **** (there is a certain homemade taste to their burgers and sandwiches)
Ambience - *** (it’s nothing fancy, but the place is clean)
Service - **** (efficient)
Budget - ****1/2 (at an average cost of Rs. 180, this place is heaven sent for casual dining and budget dates)

Final Verdict: What are you waiting for?

Above Sea Level: 
The only restaurant in this list that would probably win the argument for ‘Service’ is Above Sea Level in The Raintree. S’s birthday warranted a decent dining experience. And though the Leela Palaces and ITC Grand Cholas of Chennai were quite appealing, I knew we wouldn't do justice to the cost. Shelling out INR 2500 per person for eating 25% of the buffet didn't really convince me. That would have to wait for another occasion. I knew the birthday boy would love something different. Dining in a roof top restaurant in April, when the sea breeze still kept its tryst with the city in the evenings, was a good idea. And I was not disappointed. The evening breeze was cool and gentle, the roof top was tastefully furnished with comfortable chairs, subdued lights, a calm swimming pool glowing with recessed lighting, and to give an added air of tranquility, there was a huge statue of a meditating Buddha. Hmmm I could already feel a lazy, warm feeling creep up to my heart from my killer heels clad toes.

But this blog post is for the guy who took my call when I booked my table and ensured that I had a good time at the restaurant. He not only complied with my wishes of sitting at a table overlooking the city, but also made sure that we got a special platter for the birthday boy. I had absolutely no complaints about the discreet, yet attentive service we were subjected to throughout the meal. The food was not something to write home about. Aside from the non-veg platter, the food was very average. The dal makhni was not bad, but the flambéed fruits were a shame. They did not flambé it because they were worried the breeze would blow it off. But wouldn't they leave it to our discretion instead of deciding for us and denying us the taste. So food was definitely average, but service was really good. I think I might visit the place again…just for getting the opportunity to lounge and enjoy the scenery and service. Of course all good star hotels give us the opportunity to do just that and that’s included in the cost. And probably I’ll find the opportunity to compare those hotels too, and then we’ll get better idea of the service vs food argument.                                                                                                       

I would rank their:

Food - *** (that flambeed fruits...)
Ambience - **** (it was a really beautiful place)
Service - ****1/2 (attentive and efficient)
Budget - ***1/2 (a bit steep for the food given

Final Verdict: Go if you have an occasion to celebrate and stick to their kababs and rotis. I had suggested they use a hot plate for their kababs as they get cold and dry due to the breeze and I have been promised that the suggestion would be implemented. Fingers crossed.

One could argue that personalized service is given to repeated customers. But I am not talking about that kind of service. Merely ensuring that the guest is comfortable with a smile and a polite word and being knowledgeable about the restaurant can make a difference. They definitely ensure repeat customers, like it did for us in Lincoln’s case. This is also one of the reasons that star hotels charge exorbitantly and ask you to demand their services. When it comes to competitiveness, the edge does come in, in details such as these.

Until the next list comes about…happy chowing!

Comments

Sriram P B said…
It's time you became a professional food critic. You are polite and generous in pointing out the negatives though. Continue chowing :)
Syed said…
very appetizing write-up....plan to go above Sea-level..

liked the rating stars !
Priyanthi said…
Just about given up on your blog, and you rise from the ashes! Accurate and interesting reviews for the first two, they also happen to be two of my most frequented places. Keep up the yummy reviews....
Jerina J said…
Sriram - Thanks for the vote of confidence. Need to work on writing the real critiquing part, I know ;-)
Jerina J said…
Niaz - Thanks! Do go to Above Sea Level, the climate is good right now. But definitely try Ox and Tomato. And invite your friends too! ;-)
Jerina J said…
Priyanthi - See, just when you lose hope in me, I'll rise up like the Phoenix...ahem.

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those