Skip to main content

Views on Reviews

After a long time I had the privilege of watching a movie without reading any reviews. For those who seem to think this rather unusual, you might want to step into my world. My fear of not enjoying a movie after parting with my hard earned money is so great, that I read a minimum of 3-4 reviews before I muster courage and step into a multiplex. And it has almost always worked for me in the past. But somehow in recent times I feel as if there is so much negative feedback going around, some even being too critical and offensive that I am rethinking this ‘strategy’ of mine.

Forget someone else’s star ratings. The function of movie guides is to inform you who’s in a film and what it’s about, so that you can decide for yourself.

This line is from one of my favorite movie reviewer, Baradwaj Rangan’s, blog. Generally, his review alone is enough for me to make up my mind, but sometimes, just sometimes there releases a movie that I have anticipated so much and which he has not really liked it, and I search for reviews written by others to validate his opinion.

Earlier on, when he decided to do away with his star rating for a movie, I was disappointed to say the least. But his reasoning was something on the lines that a rating is very personal. What he feels deserves a three might warrant a four from us readers. And sometimes when he thinks a movie might not good enough for a four and certainly not a three, a three and half just doesn’t cut it. And so he changed his style of writing. His reviews are not really reviews, they are more his thoughts about a movie. So if a movie is bad, you really won’t know when you read his review, but what you’ll come to know is if he was disappointed by the director’s attempt or if the story line had let the movie down or any of the innumerable factors that can make or break a movie. Most importantly, you come to know his opinion…not a general statement or a judgment.
Perhaps this link from his blog should explain his thoughts better.

Now-a-days when I read a review, I find the reviewers’ opinion thrust on me. Perhaps people do want a ready reckoner and their minds are made up easily when a reviewer they trust gives a 11/2 or a 2 to a movie. Not so for me. What if I love like the actor? What about the director of the movie? I know for a fact that after watching Anurag Kashyap’s ‘Gangs of Wasseypur’, I’d watch his ‘Bombay Velvet’ even it got, like, 1 start (which I hope it does not). Or even if Tigmanshu Dhulia’s ‘Bullett Raja’, with its double ‘T’ fails to invoke the reviewer’s goodwill, I know I shall go watch it because I liked his earlier movies and oh…because I love like Saif(he is a ‘saif’ bet, you see)

The movie which triggered this post is Gori Tere Pyar Mein. Did I like it? Yes I did…mostly. Did the so-called reviewers like it? You guessed it. No. And a vehement ‘no’ at that. There was one guy on TV who termed it ‘boring’. For whom, I wanted to ask. Isn’t boring a strong word for a dispassionate reviewer? Rajeev Masand says the film struggles to hold your attention. Well, not for me.  And he’s one of my fall back reviewers, so if anybody has to be included in that equation, it should also be me. My contention is with people who put down a movie based on not how they felt, but because they think they have been chosen as a guard dog for good, cerebral entertainment. They make sweeping statements and seem to be in fear of not having been the first to warn you that the movie was bad. “See, I told ya” or “You heard from me first.” In these days of instant media, where anybody can write a review, there sadly seems to be very few passionate film goers. Even a movie, like Lunch Box garnered a small portion of flak. Is this some sort of a drive to achieve greater goals? Do such reviews stop some directors from making really bad movies and some to continue making some really good movies?

I shall not forget watching Chennai Express, in spite of my biased opinion (oh I could never be a good reviewer) - I don’t like Rohit Shetty’s movies you see, on the words of a regular visitor to BR’s blog. I have found his views on movies matching mine and when he said, “I liked it, what’s there not to like?” I knew that I would give the movie a chance. And boy was I rewarded. Chennai Express was a good entertainer. I liked it too.

Gori Tere Pyar Mein has been promoted as a romantic comedy. Would it be too presumptuous of me to call it ‘light hearted’? This word has almost become alien among the reviews these days. The story line was light and does not tax much. Yes, I did feel that they did try to over-reach in the second half of the movie by trying to expect us to take the heroine’s cause seriously, but the treatment of the story is much better than many others I have seen. I felt that the dialogues were more colloquial and relatable; the actors, Imraan Khan, KKK (that’s Kareen Kapoor Khan…whew), Nizhagal Ravi and Sujata Kumar, did a good job.
I only felt that scenes showing these guys running off from their lavish, large scale weddings as if it doesn’t cost the parents a thing to organize them, doesn’t become a constant in Hindi movies.  Another thing which didn’t work for me was the second half. There were portions where the movie really slows down, but not so much that you sleep through it or want to fiddle with your gadgets (as some pesky movie goers do). While we are on the topic of doing away with stereotypes, why not even remove the concept of having 5 odd songs in the movie, even when the premise just does not lend itself to it? The two songs that have been topping the charts, ‘Tooh’ and ‘Chillum Chabake’ seemed so forced and unnecessary.

But that’s about the wrongs that I want to dwell upon, especially since I want to see it for what it is – a romantic comedy. The polished, glossy village, the unruffled, not-a-hair-out-of-place, so-called social activist Kareena, the extravagant sets and a certain surrealism…everything belongs to a Karan Johar production. You practically expect it when you go see the movie. Then why the hue and cry?
To think that I would have given this movie a miss if I had read the reviews first! I guess I need to seriously consider whose reviews to follow in the future and even if that doesn’t work out, to at least have the conviction to watch a movie for what it is and scrimp on that popcorn to make up for money wasted on a bad movie. Or perhaps I need that big, bag of popcorn to take my mind off a bad movie; then it will not be a wasteful expenditure. Oh anyway, I am sure you might not be very interested in my ramblings on cost cutting ideas especially while indulging in an activity I so love.  

 But do get interested in movies and have a happy, un-marred-by-reviews experience while you are at it. 

Comments

Priyanthi said…
I agree with you. Sometimes the movie may not get very good reviews, but I would like to see it just because I really like the actors. I would also go see a movie that has gt very good reviews but the starcast for me is meh. But in cases like GTPM, where the reviews are not glowing, and I'm really not too fond of the actors (or in this case stars, I think neither of them can be called actors), I give it a miss.... Glad you enjoyed it.
Jerina J said…
I thought you liked Imraan Khan! :) His earlier movies Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na, Delhi Belly and Ekk Main Aur Ekk Tu were nice. I had already given OUATIMD (whew!) a miss. So I wanted to check this movie out.

After a long time I went for a first day show. It was unplanned and I don't think I'd have seen this movie after reading the reviews ;) That's what prompted the post.

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those