Skip to main content

A Song and Dance of Everything

I love the unpredictability of the songs thrown up by my iPod on any given day. One day I jog to Soni Di Nakaren (love the beats of the song - kudukku...kudukku) and on another, I work on my laptop to the soulful rendition of Lag ja gale. 

When I gym, I tend to go for peppy songs that coax my lazy muscles to move and keep my mood upbeat. And oh how much I need that boost. So this morning, while I was on my way down to the gym, I clumsily started off a playlist that pulled off all the songs from the iPod - Hindi, Old Hindi, English - all of it. In addition to the randomness of one playlist, I was offered songs from other playlists too.

So one moment I was running away on the treadmill to Frankie Vallie's Can't take my eyes off you, and at another I was crunching the weights (well, I would like to think that) to Tom Jones's Delilah. Yep, what a song to work with weights. The initial high note which reminded me of the background score from Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho movie, enthused me to concentrate on shoulder press for a few minutes before I got lost in the lyrics of the song. How could I not, when the lyrics is as interesting as this -

I saw the flickering shadows of love on her blind 
She was my woman
As she deceived me, I watched and went out of my mind

And then: 
But I was lost like a slave that no man could free 

Speculating about cruel Delilah who broke his heart, I lost count of the number of repetitions. Ah well, when faced with such important matters of the heart, what is one count more or less? When the song got over, I started on the elliptical cross trainer. This is by far the most difficult apparatus, in our gym. A setting of '1' , which is the least, has me panting and puffing like a woman about to have a cardiac arrest. My calf muscles scream at me for being so uncaring and when presented with that kind of argument, my kindly heart gives in and I slide off the apparatus in 2 mins.

Confident that today was going to be no different from the other days, I stepped on it. And precisely at that moment this song started on the iPod -
Pardesiya yeh sach hai piya - from Natwarlal (1979).

Now people who are familiar with this song, might understand how this beat sounds:

Oh Pardesiya...
Tumka tumka tumka (hip shake, hip shake, hip shake)
Pardesiya yeh sach hai piya...

For others, here's the song:

Mr. Natwarlal - Pardesiya

The song has plenty of these 'tumka' beats that just begs for a random shoulder shake (like what Amitabh in his horrendous boots and green pants does) or a hip shake like that of svelte Rekha's or better still a combination of the two. I love dancing. Especially to our Hindi songs. But my dance style (I'm using a loose term here) somehow seems to be influenced by Tamil 'dabban kuthu' songs. If you were to strip the beats and the steps, you'll find that Tamil actors dance to almost every beat in a peppy song, but in Hindi it is mostly to important beats. A case in point here is when Prabhu Deva choreographed songs like "Hey Que Sera Sera" and "Main Aisa Kyun Hoon, and the more recent "Go Go Go Govinda." Prabhu Deva, as we all know, is a South Indian actor, choreographer and director who entered Bollywood and introduced this 'hair splitting' style of dancing. Check the superb video below and you'll understand what I mean. After seeing this, watch any random peppy song choreographed by any other Indian choreographer and you'll see the difference.

This must-watch video is from Lakshya movie, the Main Aisa Kyun Hoon song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeWBKvd7QHs

Even the "oye yeeah oye oho" part has steps for every beat. Of course, this does not mean that Hindi songs choreographed by others don't have their share of superb steps and beats. They do. And that's why so many of us love dancing to them. But I am digressing.

How did this song from Mr. Natwarlal work out for me? I was like an octopus twitching after coming in contact with an electric eel. A part of me wants to jump down from the Elliptical cross trainer and do the jig, but my hands are glued to the bars which are swinging because I am running. And so I do what I could do. Shoulder shake at "tumka tumka tumka" and swing my head like a demented lady during the stanzas. All in all, I finished 5 minutes of running on the Elliptical and was raring to go some more. Whew!

So there, one can make a song and dance of everything. And it has its benefits. Exercising becomes more tolerable, relationships get strengthened (ahem...unproved theory) and in general, life becomes one robust Bollywood movie.

Comments

Anita said…
Ha ha. I hear you sister! I have sometimes danced in the great outdoors because a great song came on the iPod. Btw can't open the video you have posted. Pls pls mail me the link
Jerina J said…
@Ani - :-) Don't I know how you love to dance too. Wonder why you are unable to see the video I have uploaded. S was able to view it clearly. Shall be happy to send you the link.
Priyanthi said…
Tell me about it. I realise that I get very involved with the music that is playing while I'm driving. Luckily a/c cars prevent other people from hearing my besurila voice, but get some strange stares at traffic lights sometimes, especially if I'm jigging in the seat.
Jerina J said…
@Priya - :-D. You know, that reminds me of the woman in the French movie, "Hey, Good looking." She sings in the car with so much gusto and verve, making it one superb sing-along scene I have seen in recent times.

I can picture you doing that ;-)
Sriram P B said…
Ah! Music in the rain club :)

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those