Skip to main content

Spider-man, Spider-man does whatever a spider can...

‘To tell the truth, I wanted to make a film that my daughter could watch,’ explains Martin Scorsese, when interviewed about Hugo. This was the first 3-D movie he was directing, but he was quite sure that it was not the technology and special effects  that motivated him; it was the story of the little boy. 

I felt as if history was unfolding in front of my eyes when I went to see The Amazing Spider-man - 3D. I felt very much like Martin Scorsese's 12 year old daughter, who is going to watch this movie as a grown up. It brought back memories of me growing excited watching ice creams coming close to me with my plastic 3-D glasses on, in "My dear Kutti Chattan." 

But first things first.We do know that there's not much story to maneuver around as far as the "Spider man" series is concerned. The movies were beaten by the comics, which we have all grown up reading. We know the characters, we know Peter Parker's secret, his girlfriend and his enemies. So what do you look for in the movie? For me the answer was quite simple - technology and special effects.

Sitting in the darkened cinema hall, ignoring the chatter of youngsters who were there to see some action and not listen to 'boring' dialogues, I watched with mild interest first which soon transformed to child-like joy. The amazing Spider man delivered amazing 3D effects and stunt scenes. 



From the time he gets bitten by the genetically modified spider, I felt pulled into the movie, as if I was transforming into the super hero myself. And like self made super heroes, read, Iron Man and Batman, we see him going about designing his suit, working on his wrist bands that shoot the silvery web strands into unsuspecting villains' faces and learning to use his super powers. His costume looks deceptively real (I'm sure a lot of work has gone in to make it look,  oh-so-real). Sadly, the trailer scene, where he runs uncertainly  and leaps into thin air from the terrace of a tall building, is missing. I was enthralled when I had seen the trailer earlier. I felt as if the camera was mounted on him to give us, all those heart stopping, jaw dropping moments when he nearly crashes into a pipe, almost hits a wall and then jump into the air. My teeth must have glistened in the dark thanks to my silly grin. I didn't quite miss the scene until after the movie ended. There were plenty of other scenes to make up for the fantastic special effects, and most of them with the Lizard. There are plenty of 'oooh' moments too, judging by the collective sounds, (including mine, including mine) of fellow movie watchers, the best for me being the very last image of him suspended in air with his arms outstretched and his back to us. Classic. 

I read that the "Amazing Spiderman" is directed by Marc Webb, who has taken over the series from Sam Raimi, the director of the earlier flicks. The story could not be pottered around too much without deviating from the comic book. So, we are taken this time, to a Peter Parker, who is in high school (not the journalist guy, we've seen earlier) and who becomes a super hero following the infamous bite of a genetically modified spider. Only, this Peter is different from the shy, unassuming, nerdy Peter of the earlier installments. Andy Garfield simply cannot merge in the background.You are aware of him even without his suit...looking adorable in those nerdy glasses,with bulging biceps which flex when he romances the beautiful Emma Stone (Mary Jane has still not made an appearance in his life). This is one Spider-man who looks as if he deserves that super power. The phrase, "with great powers come great responsibility," has not been owned by him yet. He is having a ball right now - swinging between high-rise buildings with his new found powers, taking his girlfriend on a aerial trip and keeping a look out for his uncle's killer. 

And that is pretty much what you come away with - a taste of history in the making, a feeling of history being made (I can only think of Jurassic Park - 1 that was a defining movie in terms of special effects) and having a ball while these landmarks are being made. Keep them coming people!








Comments

Priyanthi said…
Sounds like you really had a fun time!
Jerina J said…
Yes babes. But you need to like 3-D and 3-D glasses ;D (You know what I mean)

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those