Skip to main content

An Adieu to Andamans...Sigh




On our way to Radhanagar Beach

Radhanagar beach lived up to its reputation of being named the Best Beach in Asia in 2004 by Time magazine. The fierce afternoon sun glinted off the blue water, making me squint in spite of my shades. The sand though powdery and soft, was hot on the feet. So S came up with a brilliant plan. He had seen a path going off parallel to the beach and wanted to investigate it. He thought it would lead to Barefoot Scuba resort’s rich sister: Barefoot at Havelock resort. He was right. But that’s for later.
The parallel path

The small woods beyond the path
I was happy to follow S, and boy was I rewarded. The path led to a woods that had such tall trees that it seemed to have been there from time immemorial. I simply couldn’t understand how such tall trees could exist so close to the shore. It’s quite a sight and it gives us a feeling of how insignificant we are. We spent a couple of happy hours hugging these huge trees with a girth that is so wide that it would need probably five people holding hands outstretched to measure it.  
Just check out the height of this tree

S tries getting the positive energy of the tree. I'm not joking!
 

This would be my postcard from Andaman...ah bliss.


Isn't this a classic 'James Bond'-ish shot?

After we took in all of that calm and beauty we made our way to the Barefoot at Havelock resort which is reached through a small path from the beach.  There is another way for the guests to enter the resort.

When we walked in, we saw a fresh batch of foreigners, most in their fifties and sixties.
Barefoot at Havelock resort

We had our coffee in their in-house restaurant, with its highly polished wooden floors on which you could see your face and since one wouldn’t want to stamp their own faces with footwear, the resort requests you to leave your footwear out. So we walked barefoot and had coffee and bruschetta with a nice light dip. The service was nice and personal. The waiter came in to remind us of the sunset and how it would look wonderful from the beach. We paid up and hurried to the beach just in time to take some wonderful snaps of the setting sun.

Long shadows left by the setting sun

A beautiful yacht anchored in the water
The beauty



Couldn't resist this 'Qayamat se qayamat tak' type shot

Another classic shot. God was kind to me. 
By the time we drove back it was getting dark. But since there is only one road that connects the beach to the rest of Havelock, it was pretty easy finding our way back. We had time to check out the neighbouring resort, Symphony Resort's restaurant, Charcoal, which was part of my list of restaurants to try out in Havelock. They were serving mainly a buffet but we settled for naans and gravy which was pretty adequate. There seemed to be a heavy North Indian influence in the menu and judging by the number of North Indians sitting around me, I could understand why.

The next day, our last day in Havelock, we checked out of our wonderful resort and drove down to Kalapathar village. The passing scenary was breathtaking. I don’t think one could capture that so easily in a camera. 


So immersed were we in the beauty around us that we didn’t realize that we were passing through Kalapathar village.


We overshot Kalapathar
We drove on and on through verdant rice fields, watching farmers go about their work, avoiding healthy cows calmly chewing their cud. Then all of a sudden the road ended. Just like that. We came to know that the sea on one side of the road and the white rocks on the other, was actually what we had come to see. Since I was looking for a literal translation of Kalapathar – black rocks, I missed the place. When we returned we saw that there were indeed a few black rocks to prompt that name. 
But whose complaining?

Cool board
The beach is lovely and gives a lot of privacy. One can sit here for ages if it's the sea they love. Since S and I had already checked out of our hotel and we had time to kill until lunch, we happily sat and took it all in - the incessant sound of the waves hitting the shore, the sudden silence before the next wave forms (divine), the chirping of birds somewhere, the cool sea breeze blowing through ...I could go on.
The calm sea, but with floating debris 

We had lunch in Red Snapper restaurant in Wild Orchid resort. This is a little upmarket restaurant, known for it's seafood dishes.I wanted to try out seafood here, though S and I were not big fans of it. Still, we had come to Andaman after all, and if not here then where? So I ordered batterfried prawns with dip for starters and chickened out with chicken pasta. The prawns portion size was big, especially since it was just me eating them. But it was delicious all the same. The prawns were fresh and succulent. The pasta however was as dry as the sand in the beach. I was so disappointed, given the cost of the item. I gave my feedback to the maitre d and so the next time you go there and find your pasta just of the right consistency, don’t forget to thank me ;)

These are just a few snaps of Barefoot Scuba resort. I loved the place, the people working there, the services given to us...I will definitely stay here the next time too.

The sea facing cottages
The hub - the water activities reception

The sea view cottages in which we stayed

So the meal signed off our trip to Havelock, and as far as S was concerned,  signed off our Andaman trip. He was loathe to get back to Port Blair and seemed like a petulant boy. Pretty cute I must say.

I for one was looking forward to visiting the other islands, like Jolly Buoy or Red Skin Island. But on reaching PB we came to know that these islands are closed on Monday. I was surprised that nowhere was it mentioned that the islands are closed to public on a weekday. None of the websites I had checked had given this information. I don't know if this was probably a new rule of the Government. But please do take care to check this up the next time you plan for a vacation there. So, were forced to go to Ross Island in the local ferry filled to the capacity with other tourists.
The picturesque jetty which masks the confusion of boats coming to dock

Our cracker of a er...captain(?)

The jetty at Ross Island

The ruins in Ross Island

Ross Island is a ruin of the administrative headquarters of the British in Andaman and Nicobar. There is clear evidence of an opulent, carefully planned past. The hospital, the church, the officers club, mess, desalination plant etc.Gnarled roots of trees grow over some of the structures giving them an eerie look. The ruins gave me goose pimples. I felt as if English ladies in their flouncy skirts and British officers in their crisp uniforms would walk out any moment and startle us with their laughter. I couldn’t quite brush off that thought, as I walked into an old church with its hidden rooms and ancient stairs. Next to the church was the hospital and the graveyard. By the time S and I had checked out the tombstones which showed almost everybody as being dead in their early twenties, we were left alone by other tourists who had come with us.We were alone amongst the tombstones and that was enough to spook me. I egged S to move on quickly, much to his amusement.

So friends, I couldn't complain of having an uneventful day in Ross Island. Maybe we'd make another trip to check out Jolly Buoy or Red Skin island ;), that is, if I get S to move out of Havelock Island this time.

This is definitely the end of my update of our Andaman trip but believe me, the memories will remain with me for ever. Every trip has it's ups and downs. I am glad that ours included a lot of 'ups', largely because, the beauty of the place lends itself to everything. So don't forget to include a trip to Andaman in your must-see places. I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Ciao!


Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.
Ralph Waldo Emerson














Comments

Anita said…
I just love the pics of the sea. Absoluetly gorgeous
Priyanthi said…
I agree, the pic's were out standing. It's definitely on my list of places to visit.......
Jerina J said…
@Ani and Priya - Oh lovely guys. I can see the two of you bobbing in the ocean, checking the fishes ;) and Priya, I'm sure you're happy I finished this blog at last!

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those