Skip to main content

Pav Bhaji Recipe


If like me, you have a spouse who loves home cooked food and if like me you enjoy cooking for him then you will understand the reason behind this post.
But before that, if you’ve unsuspectingly believed all that I’ve written above, then S would be happy to nudge you in the right direction. Firstly I don’t really enjoy cooking – not in the boring everyday cooking way. I rather like the oh so cool, ‘cooking when it fancies me’ – kind of way. Yeah there it is…out in the open. Sigh. Secondly, I do enjoy cooking for him…but er… if it agrees with what I’d like to eat myself. Read – chocolate oozing brownies, cupcakes, sweets, roast chicken sandwiches, pasta etc etc. Well, I hide behind ‘my love to cook for him’ excuse every time, but he is no soul mate for nothing. He sees through me…every time. Hmph!  Anyway, it sounds kinda nice on the blog I must say, that I enjoy cooking for him. And I make up to him by tweaking a recipe so that the finished product is something that he will indeed love and at the same time, I would love too.
 That brings me to the Pav Bhaji recipe that I made yesterday for him…and oh yeah…for me too. Only all the recipes that I came across on the net did not have as much vegetables in it that S’s benevolent stomach could hold. So I had to come up with my own recipe after scouring the net for one. It didn’t help that one recipe suggested using cabbage in the recipe. Cabbage?  For a delicious pav bhaji recipe? Nope. Not for me. Nor him. (Please ignore that I put myself first there. Let’s get a move on)
So if you’re indeed looking for a Pav Bhaji recipe, then why not try this sometime. It has got tons of vegetables and some to keep your vitamin levels of the day intact. Keep your eyes steadfastly out of the ‘butter’ and ‘ghee’ part though, as I do have a penchant to follow that part of the recipe to the T.

Pav Bhaji

Serves: 4, I think. Well, how would I know what the normal number of pavs you stuff into your mouth should be? So be a judge of it yourself people.

Ingredients:
Pav buns : 8 nos. (of course, S and I finished 6 of those easily. But let’s just say, its two per person okay? We are not in a glutton contest friends. That happens only in my house).
Onions : 4 small (I am not giving the weight here, because I DON’T have a weighing machine yet. I hope you don’t expect me to confess my failings in the kitchen. Not yet. This is only my first recipe blog. There is time enough for those. Moving on).
Tomatoes: 4 medium (S loves the sour taste of the tomatoes but I had only 4 then. Continue reading to find out what I put for more of those sourness)
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp (I used the Hommade packet so I don’t know the ratio of ginger: garlic. Please don’t shoot me yet).
Cauliflower, finely chopped – 1 big bowl (okayyyy…fine…a big bowl is actually er…a bowl that can hold half of a finely chopped small cauliflower (discreet cough) or well…a 500ml cup).
Peas – 1 cup (ah this I know…a 250ml cup)
Carrots – 2 medium sized
Potatoes – 4 medium sized, boiled and mashed with the carrots.
Green Capsicum – 1 medium, finely chopped
Tomato/ Bolognese Pasta sauce, ready made (yes, I am not bonkers.) – 2 tbsp. (believe me it is yummy and a bit of a fusion really)
Pav Bhaji masala (our good old Everest masala) – 2 tbsp (I like it masaledar)
Green chillies – 2 small, chopped finely
Chilli powder (just in case…but then you might not be as brain fried like S and me. He is a hot blooded Telugu male who likes his food..well…hot.) – 1tsp. Feel free to leave this spice if you think you’ve already got all that spice into your dish. How? Well won’t you be tasting in between?
Salt – ah this I’ve been meaning to write for ever – as per taste. Ha!
Butter – yes you heard me – I don’t know how much . I think I’d have scraped and put about 4 tbsp for the entire gravy and then 2 more tbsps for the pavs. But I am not going to shoot you for using more of it. Be my guest. It’s your arteries folks. And it’s a free country! Ah…you could also use oil instead of butter. But then you do know that all evil things are yummy.  So choose wisely.
Water – 1 cup to 2 cups

Accompaniments:
Onion – chopped finely
Lemon - quartered
Coriander leaves – a bunch of those. As much as you want.
Whew…that’s the ingredients. How do people write recipes? This is so much of hard work, really.

Method:
1.      Heat 2 tbsp of oil or butter in a thick bottomed pan.
2.      Add finely chopped onion to it and sauté till it is transparent. (That’s the difficult part guys. Patience needed here)
3.      Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute or until the raw flavor disappears!
4.      Add finely chopped tomatoes and a pinch of salt and allow to cook until tomatoes are soft. I generally leave it on low flame for 5 minutes to get that consistency.
5.      Use a masher and coax the tomatoes to lose their shape and become one nice red paste.
6.      To this, add the finely chopped cauliflower florets, peas, capsicum and green chillies and leave it for 3 minutes to cook. Don’t worry they’ll get cooked before the gravy is done.
7.      When it is done, add the mashed carrot and potato and mix well. At this point your gravy looks a little boring. But we’ll soon be rectifying this by adding the masalas.
8.      Add the pav bhaji masala and the chilli powder and salt. Mix well.
9.      Now the red colour seeps in. Have I forgotten something? Yep. The pasta sauce (tomato based). We should be adding it the moment the raw flavor of the masalas ah…disappears. (I know I know this is just not a culinary term but then I need to remind you that this is my first attempt at writing a recipe any way).
10.    Add the pasta sauce and mix well.
11.    Pour in the water to this thick mixture.
12.    Adjust the salt.
13.    Add a tablespoon of butter (more, if you have did not start with butter originally!) and mix well.
14.    S and I like a bit of texture in the bhaji, so I did not mash the vegetables too much. If you like it smooth, work away with that masher. It’s a good exercise anyway, for all that butter you’re adding into this recipe.
15.    Once the gravy achieves a desired consistency (by desired I mean…runny, not so runny, cake batter like – which I must say is the desired consistency for S and I) garnish the gravy with lots of coriander and remove from flame.
16.    Assembling the dish – cut the pav buns horizontally into 2 (but they’re strictly one. It shouldn’t mess with our above mentioned portion size)
17.    On a hot tava, put a big tablespoon of butter and as it sizzles and melt, quickly place the pav buns over it. I manage to keep 4 buns cut horizontally. Er...that’s eight.
18.    Once the pav buns are crisp, remove and place it gently on the plate. Admire it if you must but do not, I repeat…DO NOT delay in serving.
19.    Serve with a side of freshly cut onions and one of the quartered lemon.
20.    Thank me when your loved one plants a big sloppy kiss on your cheek for serving such deliciousness.

Pav Bhaji
Whew…for those who did not understand an iota of the above recipe, I have written one without my ramblings below. It helped to write the above one. I’ve got a hang of writing it any way. Here goes.

Pav Bhaji
Serves: 4 (2 pavs each)
Ingredients:
1.      Onions: 4 small
2.      Tomatoes: 4 medium
3.      Ginger garlic paste: 1 tsp
4.      Cauliflower, finely chopped : 1 big bowl
5.      Peas – 1 cup (250ml cup)
6.      Carrots – 2 medium sized
7.      Potatoes – 4 medium sized, boiled and mashed with the carrots.
8.      Green Capsicum : 1 medium, finely chopped
9.      Tomato/ Bolognese Pasta sauce, readymade : 2 tbsp
10.    Pav Bhaji masala (Everest masala): 2 tbsp
11.    Green chillies: 2 small, chopped finely
12.    Chilli powder: 1tsp.
13.    Salt: as per taste.
14.    Butter: 4 tbsp
15.    Water – 1 cup to 2 cups
Garnish with coriander leaves

Accompaniments:
Onion – chopped finely
Lemon - quartered

Method:
1.      Heat 2 tbsp of oil or butter in a thick bottomed pan.
2.      Add finely chopped onion to it and sauté till it is transparent. Now add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute or until the raw flavor is gone.
3.      Add finely chopped tomatoes and a pinch of salt and allow it to cook until tomatoes are soft. Use a masher and coax the tomatoes to lose their shape and become one nice red paste.
4.      To this, add the finely chopped cauliflower florets, peas, capsicum and green chillies and leave it for 3 minutes to cook. Don’t worry they’ll get cooked before the gravy is done.
5.      When it is done, add the mashed carrot and potato and mix well.
6.      Add the pav bhaji masala and the chilli powder and salt to the mixture.
7.      Once the raw flavor of the powder is gone, add the pasta sauce and mix well.
8.      Pour water into this thick mixture.
9.      Adjust the salt.
10.    Add a half a tablespoon of butter and mix well.
11.    You could leave the gray at this juncture with a bit of mashing or if you like it smooth, work away with that masher.
12.    Once the gravy achieves a cake batter consistency garnish the gravy with lots of coriander leaves and remove from flame.
13.    Assembling the dish – cut the pav buns horizontally into 2.
14.    On a hot tava, put the remaining butter and as it sizzles and melts, quickly place the pav buns over it.
15.    Once the pav buns are crisp, remove and place it gently on the plate.
16.    Serve with a side of freshly cut onions and one of the quartered lemon. 

Comments

Priyanthi said…
Wow! That sure looks yum....
Anita said…
The picture looks really yum man!

My modest contribution to keeping the pav bhaji in our house slightly healthier is to substitue whole wheat bread toasted with a bit of low-fat butter for the pav. Does not taste as good as regular pav but much better than you think it would taste
Jerina J said…
@Priyanthi- It tasted as well as it looked babes.

@Ani- The wheat bread option is really good ani. But the low fat butter just doesn't taste like anything at all ;) Must try the bread sometime.

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those