Skip to main content

Of New Years and Old Ways

Happy New Year folks!

Now that the anticipation, the waiting, the feeling that something special would happen at the stroke of twelve (and it doesn't) is over, I can start looking at other things related to the years - the one that was and the one that will be.

The past year was good. Oh man so good...well, for obvious reasons. And if I can still say that it is good that we've married, then you can deduce that all is well in paradise right now :) Fingers crossed! The future, however, is scary. Just like it had been for 2011. It had been scary when it started, with too many challenges to face. So since my feelings about 2012 are similar, I am hoping this would be a good year too.

Last year, S did the unthinkable. He 'rightfully' got permission for me to spend the New Year's eve at P's place (other years I have sneaked out on some pretext or other). I felt liberated all of a sudden. I didn't have to fib or hide anything. And I could enjoy the evening with my friends without having to worry about the consequences if people at home came to know of my er...deceit. And as the clock had struck twelve to bring in 2011, with S by my side and all my dear friends grinning happily, I knew already that 2011 was going to be special.

2012 came in without us being overly sensitive to it. We were all on a mad trip around the Pictionary board, fighting, arguing, laughing so hard that tears ran down the eyes, when suddenly someone pointed out that its merely  half an hour to the new year. We had big plans of 'bursting' crackers to bring in the new year. But I'm being too optimistic here. 'Burst' is just not the word. It should be 'lighting' crackers. Well, what could one expect when the people bringing these crackers had children who were too young to appreciate them? The result? A bunch of macho guys and ahem...svelte women were left holding sparklers and trying hard to look cool lighting flower pots and chakras. The saving grace was a bomb which our benevolent friends were quick to warn was too loud and also that it had a short fuse. So much was the hype created that we were saving it for twelve to make a big bang into 2012. Well, when we did light it (and I must say it was with a lot of apprehension) the darn thing was less noisier than a gun shot. Sigh.

Well, all things considered, I don't think I'd have had it any other way. True to our image, we hogged our way through yummy chicken starters, hot crepes, masala peanuts and pappads, chilli cheese toasts and garlic bread. Whew and we tried working the food off with a game of Pictionary that was so full of cheating, that one of the young ones couldn't help shouting at the elders - 'Be honest!' And after the new year was in, we trudged back to the house for more food and drinks.

I can already see what this year is going to be like. Exactly how the old year has been. Lots of evenings spent at our close knit group's houses, eating sumptuous starters and creative main courses, dancing to the season's newest hits; having boisterous evenings and lazy vacations, going on trips where we let our inner 'not-so-sweet' selves out to breathe a bit and then blithely carry on with living our 'goody' people's lives. There are going to be additions to our group, probably a few subtractions. There might be new challenges to face and happy times to share. But through all these episodes, the common thread that ran through 2011 will run somehow into 2012 too. A bunch of people will be somehow happy to share our lives - with all its quirkiness - with us. And thank god for such crazy people!

Thank God, 2012 will be the same as last year.

Comments

Priyanthi said…
Can't wait to see what the new year brings! And hoping that the bunch of us are always in and out of each others life.... Happy New Year guys!
Anita said…
Happy New Year. Though no matter how scary things get, it is always good to know that you atleast have each other by your side
Jerina J said…
@Priya and Ani - Amen to that!

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those