Skip to main content

A Party Under The Stars

So as the D-day approaches, I find myself being suitably busy. Clothes, venue, décor, catering etc etc for two occasions, had to be planned. And whew God! It’s over.

But then the invite for the party that we are hosting after our marriage, had to be done. Since this is an offbeat marriage and only our select friends were to be invited, I didn’t want the traditional wedding invites printed. I wanted to make the cards myself. Well, it was easy to say….but surprisingly it all just fell into place the way I wanted.

I had to first think of the theme of our party. And since it was to be in one of the famous addresses in the city, I didn’t have much to do but to milk the setting for what it’s worth. So, ‘party under the stars’ was born.

That meant I needed a ‘star’ theme. Lots of ideas swept over me. At last I settled for a bright starry invite. It was not a dark, mysterious night party card; more so it was a bright, cheery starry card. Yeah…I know you must be shaking your head saying ‘weird’. But hey it is my party! (I know I sound like a spoilt child) where as the groom in question, S, also had given his consent to this idea. Whew. Thank god. Coz without his steadying hand, I think I’d probably be still going around trying to figure ‘that’ card.

I finalized the words for the card, decided the font and toyed around a lot with the kind of clip art I wanted to put on the paper. Oh! the paper. Darn. I had to decide the kind of paper I wanted my invite to be printed on. But then opportunity presented itself in the form a trip to Pondicherry. (I have posted about it in the previous blog). S and I chanced upon a store selling lovely handmade papers, which is one of the popular industries in Pondi. So we bought a few bundles and some hand made paper covers to put our invite into. It was all so…I don’t know…ethnic? I just felt so sure that this was what I wanted as my invite.

And instead of pasting some clip art of abstract stars on the invite, we suddenly got the idea of pasting a 3D star on the paper. The hunt was on to get these and where did I find them? In a dusty lane in Pursawalkam, in a tiny shop crammed with all kinds of stuff used for arts and crafts. There were crafty items of all shapes and sizes – shiny buttons, wooden buttons, round/disc shaped/ tiny bubble shaped buttons or crystals or chamkis, of all colours. It was dazzling, even though they were winking trhough dusty plastic bottles. Well….I am drifting away. Let me get back to the task at hand.

I got these little lovely stars with fat stomachs (I know, I know, more weird. It’s the wedding I guess) and I had to have them! So with industrial glue to paste them on to the papers, S and I left the place.

So children, before we start our project, let’s have a look at the items needed.

That picture my friends is courtesy my new Canon SX130IS Powershot. It is such a pleasure taking snaps with a good camera. In fact my next post is going to be a showcase of all the picture projects I have taken on. Okay…Ok now to the work at hand.

The papers you see in the picture were actually A4 size sheets, which I had cut to this size in a local printing shop, as I wanted it to resemble cards. Of course, the pot pourri is purely for making the picture look er…decorative ;). That glue that you see, is real good. The stars were stuck on the paper in seconds and didn’t look like their relationship with the paper would end anytime soon. Real good glue.

But before we could start off, we had to print the words onto the paper. After some wild goose chase, S andI managed to get the words aligned and printed. Here it is.

Once that was done, it was time to get the elves in place. P and S. You can see P’s bent head, as she works diligently - sticking the stars with precision, while I played photographer.

Actually I was taking a break from all that creativity. It's not easy trying to stick the stars in a ahem...random artistic fashion (Now I know how much work goes into the carefully messed hairdo that celebrities sport). No, really, it's not easy. Why do you think P has wisely chosen to stick them?!

And S? Well, he was content merely posing and admiring our handiwork.

Anyway, the work was done. And the results are here to see.

And when I am finished with admiring them, I promise to courier it to my friends. ;)

Comments

Anita said…
Ooo. Nice work. Can't wait to see the real thing. Where is the post on your clothes and accessories for the evening?

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those