Skip to main content

A tough jam to swallow

Last week I got caught in the mother of all jams. In all my life of riding my bike I am yet to have come across one that physically sapped me like the one I endured that day, on my way to office. I can safely say that the speedometer refused to climb above 10km/hr for a stretch of 6 kms.

As I sat on my bike, fuming and mentally cursing no body in particular, I thought about ways to keep myself occupied. If it was another lucky day I’d have had my mp3 plugged to my ears rendering soulful songs. But alas! When this super infuriating jam was to take place how in the world could fate have rewarded me with a comfortable portal that’d transport me to another blissful world?

So I sat on my bike, studiously avoiding glances of curious fellow travelers who seem to think the best way to beat the jam is to look at what people were doing while waiting out the clearance of congestion. So I decided to watch the vehicles instead. Lo and behold I saw an impressive dark blue Nissan Xtrail parked next to me. Its glossy paint and sleek lines got me drooling and I must say the saliva dripping from my mouth gave a good competition to the sweat dribbling down my neck. (I can’t believe that this lovely cool climate we have been facing this week is real!)

But I had to quickly bring my attention back to the road as it was becoming something similar to a war ground…only here; instead of missiles and guns we had the ‘truly awesome bound to make the most thick skinned enemies cringe’ type of weapon – our vehicle horns! There were the angry short blasts which convey to the fellow in front if he was cutting in the other’s path, then of course the insistent droning honk which was for the benefit of any body who’d dared to simply enjoy the jam by shutting their engine and roast in the mid morning heat, (as if!) preventing others from moving their vehicles an inch forward, and then of course the chorus honks which was intended to anything or anybody who had the audacity to start the jam in the first place. In this case I think the blame should be placed in front of actor turned politician Vijaykanth’s door, who, I think was having some kind of a function which by the looks of it had started from his home. I somehow managed to cross about 4km with out getting into anybody’s path or earning dirty looks, when my eyes feasted on a beautiful dark grey BMW. Oh that beauty! This time I didn’t let it out of my sight which was no easy feat coz being a two wheeler driver I could maneuver many improbable gaps and race ahead which the poor sedan couldn’t or wouldn’t consider. Not that I blame him. One scratch on the gleaming paint could mean quite a heart break to the owner. Thank god I was not him. I would probably take my BMW with a accident-proof bubble around it. So it was that I held up traffic by going slower to accommodate the car. Of course such impertinence wouldn’t go unpunished. The honking started and so did the cuts in front of my bike.

Once I reached vadapalani I heaved a huge sigh of relief and was quite willing to let my bike fly. I could understand how it must be to remain cooped for so long in hot sweltering conditions, as, I had just passed this terrible jam, pulling my limbs in, sucking my breath in and not letting any tiny miniscule of my body out side the radius of my bike, lest it gets chopped away by busy commuters. I must say I am proud of my driving skills; after all I managed to come out of the battle unscarred if not a bit withered despite the long refreshing morning bath. I could boast of fobbing the big bullies off and matching the cut for cut and honking the next person to near deafness.

So what if this jam is tough to swallow, I shall plaster it on my bread and gobble it down. I have a huge appetite!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those