Skip to main content

Feeling Old

Sometimes certain habits become pleasurable activities because of certain happy interludes. Like for example, brushing ones teeth is a routine activity that has taken the status of a habit now. But on days when the toothpaste is changed one automatically charged up (atleast for the first few days). I don’t know when this came about but the newspaper which I have been reading all my life purely out of habit has suddenly taken a preference above other papers. Dad had subscribed to this paper, The New Indian Express, from when I could read a newspaper (even if it were habitually). I had felt then that the paper presented the news in a crisp form and helped easy reading…as against its popular counterpart – The Hindu, which almost three fourth of the population reads in Tamil Nadu. But increasingly I feel like the newspaper is growing younger or perhaps I am catching up with it. It’s a pleasure to take the paper and read reviews and columns written by like minded individuals. I pick up the Sunday express with a lot of joy and anticipation and really miss it when I am out of town and can’t get hold of it. I couldn’t quite understand why people wrote to editors about certain columns but now, when I like a particular article or column written by somebody whose columns I read regularly, I feel like dashing off a letter, er…scrap that to, email to them.

In days of smart and humorous blogging sites, I know articles like the one I am going to paste below would be pretty common, but what the heck! I just want to share it.

Between Reveiws P.O.T (Pretty Old Thing)
By Baradwaj Rangan
D O you have a paper bag near you? Good. Now, before you read any further, take deep breaths into it and count to ten slowly.
Feeling calm? Okay, here's the news (and you'd better be sitting down for this):
Thriller has been re-released to commemorate its twenty-fifth anniversary. When I first read about this, I thought they had the math wrong. I mean, albums of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones celebrate silver jubilees, along with well-scratched LPs from The Carpenters. Cliff Richards you can imagine as someone who put out a record a quarter of a century ago. But Michael Jackson? Wasn't he King of Pop just yesterday, when we were screwing stubby little pencils into compasses and trying to create perfect circles for our geometry exams? So 1982 is really that far back? And if Moonwalking were a person, he'd be a strapping young adult today, out of college and neck-deep in a fulltime career and getting ready to tie the knot? So how old does that make us? Now you see the need for that paper bag?
Speaking of great pop
soundtracks of The Most Maligned Decade Ever - and closer home - do you realise Biddu's Star has turned 25 too? Yes, I'm afraid so.
It's really been that long since Jaana, where Kumar Gaurav and Rati Agnihotri expressed undying love to one another by zipping themselves up in tinfoil spacesuits and performing somersaults in the vicinity of exploding nebulae. It isn't everyday that I'd freely admit to being crazy about numbers that go Boom Boom and Ooie Ooie, but we're talking silver anniversary, dammit, and this is no time for shame. (Besides, if you've lived through the eighties, it's a fairly established fact that the good taste police didn't get to you.) And this isn't just nostalgia. All that waxing in this column last week about muscle-men heroes of the eighties, triggered by a viewing of the new
Rambo movie - now that was nostalgia, nothing more. The only reason I wanted to see this movie now is that I saw the earlier installments once upon a time.
But Thriller and Star aren't just relics to be dusted off and lovingly examined under rose-tinted eyepieces, before packing them back into silica-gel storage. These are great albums, period. The instinctive reaction to a track from the eighties is to snigger and point out that they were built on strident synth loops and nothing else yes, Bananarama, I'm talking about you - but Thriller is a thrilling mix of pop and funk and R&B and
disco and even rock. And Star, what a fascinating curio it is in the annals of Hindi film music - unbelievably lush melodies harking back to earlier decades (strip away the arrangements, and you can imagine a Rafi, say, launching into Teri zindagi mein yun to kai dard aayenge), but rooted in the studio-controlled, machine-made aesthetic that anticipates the AR Rahman era by almost an entire decade. Sure, RD Burman was doing a lot of work on synths too, but Star sounded like nothing before, and sounds even today - like very little since.
Then again, I'm hardly the authority on the
music of since. As I write this, rapper Kanye West and British soul singer Amy Winehouse are expected to dominate this year's Grammies. But for their names, there isn't a thing of theirs I've heard.
baradwajrangan@epmltd.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those