Skip to main content

Hon(e)-k Your Skills

I haven’t updated my blog in like ages (read one week). Yeah I can hear the over active minds saying that there should be something to write right? But then there is loads of stuff to write… at least about my city.
One of the advantages of living far from my workplace is that by the time I reach either destination, there is so much seen and heard that the distance seems to dissolve. I see so many interesting things on road that perhaps a proper thesis can be written on it. But no no no I am not going to be doing all that so please read on. The other day I started off from work well after the office hours (you know, after the five to eight slot). The advantage of travelling at this time is that one can sight see, hum a song, drive/ride lazily or fast and do a million (er.. hmm ok so I exaggerate) things that a lot of people going in the office slot simply can't enjoy. At a leisurely pace I rode down to a junction, which is crowded at all times of the day and gazed dreamily at the numerous hoardings lining the sides... until a sharp horn sounded beside me. Slightly irritated I turned towards the source of noise pollution and found a nice rotund middle-aged man sitting on his Bajaj scooter and honking at some guy in front of him. Well, this is pretty common sight in India and is also a part of our Indian culture…ahem… So I ignored the man and continued negotiating the traffic. Much to my annoyance I found him to be going the same route as mine. Before you put me in the class of snooty people who get annoyed by innocent fellow riders let me tell you the reason for my annoyance. He kept honking! And honking! And honking! Yeah now you know what that can do to a reasonable and mild tempered person like me. The insistent honking was grating on my nerves and I gave him a quelling look which was lost on him completely coz he was busy showing his hand and grumbling at another rider. As if! This action of his got my whole attention. I mean, what makes him think he could judge other people when he could be so irritating himself. So the poor man had my laser gaze fixed on him without even knowing that he would be the potential topic of a worthy blog… ahem…Yeah getting back to the story… I never had an opportunity to get past him, not that I wanted to anyways but still his speed was around 30kmph and before all you people judge me saying that is pretty fast for a woman (!) let me declare that 30kmph is slow for all sexes no prejudice on that one. So how did I end up behind him? Sheer bad luck… no other reason for it.
As I was riding down keeping one eye on him, I came across another guy (young one) on a bike and talking to himself. Every single time I tell myself to be prepared and not get all-suspicious when I chance upon people talking on hands free mobile, but it does zap me the first few seconds at least. I recovered quickly enough and when we reached a red signal I was able to look at him impassively. That was when I saw uncleji looking at this fellow. To describe the look he shot the rider will require all my prowess in the English language but to put it mildly it looked more like a u-don’t look like-u should be in a mental asylum-but then you seem to be getting there!!!’ sort of a look. His eyes trailed up and down the man and though he turned his head away, he found that he could not keep his curiosity down. The second time he looked uncleji’s eyes flicked at the seat behind as if he half expected somebody to be sitting there and it would turn out that this guy was talking to that person… well that would’ve been the ideal situation in his nice honking-and-teaching-other-people-the-rules kind of world. But no such luck. I guess uncleji’s sanity was preserved by the signal turning green, coz the youngster drove off still speaking to the air in front. Just as this made a good blog for me I am sure uncleji’s family must have been subjected to a good long story on this. Wish I were a fly on the wall…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

War - Coolness Overload

War turned out to be one of the very few Hindi movies that I got to catch within the first week of its realease. It is also one of the very few movies that I have watched without reading the reviews. And it was truly the only one Hindi movie that I have watched in a night show: the movie started at 10:40pm and got over at 2:00 am. It tells a lot about a movie that could keep me awake through out without even a yawn. The only times I opened my mouth was when my jaw dropped. That happened on many occasions I confess, what with the incredible single shot fights on land, in water, in the air and on ice alongwith the minor detail of these jaw dropping stunts being performed by a grizzled, muscled, chiseled, sculpted, edible, incredibly high on testosterone Hrithik Roshan and his puppy cute counterpart Tiger Shroff. Be still my heart This post is not a review of the movie. Nope, you have probably seen the two, two and a half starred reviews online. There are reviews that have thrashed

Nature's Green Thumb - Kotagiri

So true When Sharan warned us that we had a ten minute walk from the road to reach his guest house in Hadathorai, Kotagiri, I was quite sure that he was exaggerating. The pictures he had posted did not evoke much confidence in me. They were predominantly of his wild garden and of the beautiful mountains around, but hardly of any of the bedrooms or bathrooms in the homestay. A ten minute walk to his guest house? Who was he kidding? Either this place was going to be a hole in the wall, I thought or it was going to be one hell of an experience. At the back of my mind though, I had some confidence in S’s choice of this place. He had a knack of picking up homestays and guest houses that were quaint/comfortable/superb and available for a song. This, he had picked up from Airbnb A magic of colours - Kotagiri So when we drove from Chennai, via Avinashi and picked up 50-something Sukumar, the guy taking care of the place, from the Kotagiri bus stand, I got th

Nagarhole National Park

I know my first post of the new year has been 24 days into the month, but I am just back from one of my first trips (of hopefully many) in 2019. A dear friend had got us booked in a forest guest house at Nagarhole National Park or Rajiv Gandhi Tiger Reserve and we friends just grabbed the opportunity without a moment's thought. The road leading from Hunsur through the forest I love going to such off beat places as the experiences are different and the crowd is less. My Kotagiri blog post is one of the most read posts here, and Nagarhole is as wild and beautiful perhaps even more than Kotagiri. We are talking about a real forest here. It is the real deal. And like all good things, it is kind of hard to experience. The dark, misty forest Nagarhole National Park is home to one of the most vulnerable species of animals in the world right now - the magnificent Tiger. Statistics show that there are very few tigers in the world. You may be sure that a good number of those